Kars's Reviews > Finite and Infinite Games

Finite and Infinite Games by James P. Carse

it was ok
bookshelves: ribbonfarm, non-fiction

Did I just finish 100+ pages of pseudo-spiritual drivel or incredibly profound philosophy? The very fact that I have to ask marks the books failure for me, although maybe my problem is that I approach it like a serious minded finite player and I should adopt the lightheartedness of the infinite player. Maybe. On a few occasions things clicked for me and I could get into the argument and the worldview Carse is getting across. But every other sentence tries to be profound. And the whole argument is assembled from metaphor—often flawed or unintuitive ones. The titular one, finite and infinite games is a useful enough lens for looking at social phenomena. But Carse goes on to frame everything, and I mean literally everything known to human experience, in terms of such metaphorical dichotomies. It is just too much for me. I was close to rage quitting the book several times because although the argument is made eloquently, and I am sympathetic to its agenda, it is too often obviously flawed or wrong and I felt insulted. I really wanted to like this, and I can sort of see why others might, but for the life of me I can't recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finite and Infinite Games.

June 9, 2012 – Shelved