Becky's Reviews > Heart-Shaped Box

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

Oct 04, 2008

bookshelves: horror, owned, 2009, reviewed, mystery-and-thrillers
Recommended for: Stephen King fans, horror fans

I've been a Stephen King fan for more than half my life. I remember reading his books at a time when other kids my age were reading "Babysitter's Club" books or "Sweet Valley" books.

I've always loved Stephen King. I wasn't sure that I would love his son, so I put off reading this book for a while after obtaining it. It may be a little neurotic, but I thought that if I didn't like Joe Hill's writing, that it would lessen my love for Stephen King's writing.

Luckily, that wasn't the case. I thoroughly enjoyed Joe Hill's book. The opening page grabbed my attention and from that point on, I had to know what happened. (Unfortunately, I had to go back to work this week, so I had less reading time than I wanted. Otherwise, this book would have been done in a day.)

I couldn't help but draw comparison's to Papa King while reading this. I'm sure I'm not alone here. Any King fan who knew that Joe Hill was his son is going to pick this book up with a little scale in their mind, measuring the son by the father. I think Joe measured up quite well.

Hill has the same talent as King does for making his characters and the world they live in real. We truly care about these people, even when they aren't lovable or nice. Hill also threads his story through with "Americana" like King does (I lost count of the Trent Reznor mentions after 6, but I like Trent Reznor, so I can look past it.) I get the feeling that Stephen King's musical taste-- and possibly his band, The Rock-Bottom Remainders-- influenced Joe's taste, and by extension, this book.), showing us the world we know and then flipping it upside-down on us.

I also like how the story flips and twists and changes, so you don't know what you're seeing until after you've been impacted by it. The mark of a good writer to me is one that can make me lost in the moment, and Joe Hill did that for me. I will definitely be picking up his other book...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart-Shaped Box.

October 4, 2008 – Shelved
January 21, 2009 – Shelved as: 2009
January 21, 2009 – Shelved as: reviewed
January 21, 2009 – Finished Reading
November 15, 2011 – Shelved as: mystery-and-thrillers

Jenbebookish Oh you just reminded me of sweet valley! Lol. I was totally reading sweet valley AND Stephen King pretty much simultaneously.