Kelly H. (Maybedog)'s Reviews > Amphigorey

Amphigorey by Edward Gorey
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amphigorey.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I *heart* Edward Gorey.

message 2: by Kelly H. (Maybedog) (last edited Jun 10, 2012 12:10AM) (new) - added it

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I love a lot of it but some is really weird and doesn't make a lot of sense. This book includes at least one story which insinuates some pretty wild sex for it's day including group sex, homosexuality and beastiality. I'm not done with the book yet though. Maybe there's more! :)

One guy who reviewed it said he would never show his kids this book and it really wasn't suitable for kids because the book was too violent for children even if it was supposed to be humor. I'm pretty sure he meant to review The Gashlycrumb Tinies. I felt like telling him he reviewed the wrong book because he sounded so ridiculous in context.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Yes, their naughtiness and ghastliness are what make them so delightful. But I agree that some are better than others. Maybe they made more sense in the time period in which they were created.

I find it strange that people ever got the idea they were for kids. This one you're reading now was in the YA section of my library. I think someone not familiar with Gorey figured they were like graphic novels.

message 4: by Kelly H. (Maybedog) (last edited Jun 10, 2012 12:00AM) (new) - added it

Kelly H. (Maybedog) In the young adult section?? Wow. I don't believe in censorship and almost never limiting access but I really believe things shouldn't be put right in front of inappropriate audiences. Meaning: needs to be recatalogued. :)