Alexa's Reviews > A Mutiny in Time

A Mutiny in Time by James Dashner

Jun 08, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from July 11 to 12, 2012

(Review originally posted on Alexa Loves Books)

Remember about a month ago when I professed my undying love for The 39 Clues series? Well, there's a serious contender for its place in my heart - a fantastic new multi-platform series from Scholastic entitled The Infinity Ring. I finished the first book in the series, A MUTINY IN TIME, written by James Dashner, and I'm already psyched to read more of the books!

The premise of the series is that two kids, Dak Smyth and Sera Froste, are the only two people who can work the Infinity Ring - a device that allows for time travel. This device is much needed by a group of people known as the Hystorians, who are trying to set out and right the "breaks" that have been made in history and caused the current world to be as it is (which is basically chaos and mayhem). This first adventure takes Dak and Sera all the way back to the time of Christopher Columbus, along with their friend Riq, to stop a mutiny.

Dak, Sera and Riq each possess a special talent. Dak is brilliant when it comes to history; he's fascinated by the past and has the awkward tendency to spout random facts in random situations. Sera, on the other hand, is a science geek who knows her way around a lab. Riq's specialty is languages; thanks to a device his family created, most languages can be understood and spoken by anyone who possesses a device. These skills are all they have, along with one SQuare device and the Infinity Ring, and they must use them to save the world!

This book is definitely geared towards a younger audience, but I still enjoyed reading it. The part that appealed most to me was the inclusion of various historical facts, and that's mostly because I'm fascinated with history (though not as much as Dak). For the intended audience, however, I'm sure it's the multi-platform interactivity that will make the book more appealing.

A MUTINY IN TIME is an exciting start to a brand new interactive series from Scholastic, rivaling The 39 Clues for my affection. I would highly recommend it for younger readers, and those who are young at heart. It's a lot of fun, easy to read and if you're a history geek, you may just enjoy the little tidbits included in the story! With authors like Carrie Ryan, Lisa McMann and Matthew Kirby penning books in the series, I'm sure that it'll take readers on an amazing adventure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mutiny in Time.

07/12/2012 page 75

Shanella I have to start this one soon... I just need to finish my August books =D