Eva Leger's Reviews > Heather Has Two Mommies

Heather Has Two Mommies by Lesléa Newman

Oct 03, 2008

bookshelves: challenged-or-banned, glbt, read-with-julia
Read on October 22, 2010

I need to get a previous edition. This edition has been water down in the hopes of simplification, in more ways than one. I've heard enough about this, and am interested enough in banned/challenged books that I also want to read the alternate edition.
I read through this before reading it to Julia. Basically because of the off chance that it was inappropriate. It's not. Julia is 5 years old and she was interested throughout. She understood throughout. She even asked a few questions although she didn't have the need to ask what some more sheltered children would probably ask. Julia has always been around people with different beliefs, lifestyles and families so this was only new to her as a book and the fact of the "missing father". (I've tended to shy away from this issue until now and honestly, she hasn't really cared from what I can see, and still doesn't so I'm letting her lead.)
We both would have prefered the pictures in color. The cover leaves much to be desired in my opinion also. I think I would like to know a little more about the author herself, maybe the illustrator too.
There are many things I really like about the book, the "daring" subject, even still, Mama Jane being a carpenter, the other kids in Heather's class having differences in subtle (subtle?) ways, etc.
I applaud Newman for writing this. I think this is something that can really help a kid in the right circumstances. Feeling alone is a horrible feeling, even for us adults, for children is can be downright life-altering.
If nothing else maybe it'll help newer generations with tolerance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heather Has Two Mommies.

03/08/2016 marked as: read