Julesmarie's Reviews > Tainted

Tainted by Jordan Castillo Price

Jun 08, 2012

bookshelves: m-m, vampires, new-favorites

** spoiler alert ** Beautiful! So beautiful! And heartbreaking and sad and... amazing. That has to be the most original and interesting tweaks to vampire lore I've yet come across and it KILLS me that it's these two that it has to happen to.

And the way Bill could tell that Michael was heartbroken at the news but misinterpreted the cause was so sweet and so sad and so fantastically well-written. That scene on the pier, where Michael is at the end hurting and Bill wants so desperately to get to him but can't. And then Michael comes back to Bill and Bill is able to let go of the picnic table as long as he has Michael to hold on to. That scene for me sums up perfectly their relationship. They are each others' strength. They make each other better and stronger and... more. Without question that has to go down in my list of favorite scenes of all time.

This series is amazing!

Favorite quote: "I don't think there's a word for everything he makes me feel. So far I haven't figured out a way to combine love with scared, and fucked-up, and invincible."

See! Amazing!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tainted.

message 1: by Kelly H. (Maybedog) (last edited Dec 10, 2012 03:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I agree this scene is beautiful and made me choke up. Did you read the version with Jordan's comments at the end? It's like she doesn't even realize what she wrote. She makes it sound like they don't really love each other, that they just need each other because they're dysfunctional. She says that they like each other fucked up and feed off it and really aren't good for each other. I think the scene you describe shows love. Wild Bill emotionally needs for Michael to be okay emotionally. That's the opposite of what she is saying. I'm going to be very upset if the second set of books pulls this relationship apart.

Julesmarie I must either not have read her comments at the end or had a different version--I had no idea she'd said that! It's fascinating to see that from her perspective. I can kindof see her words applying to Michael... but like you said, not to Wild Bill. However, there are scenes in later books where Wild Bill talks about how he (and all vampires) are drawn to emotionally-distraught people like Michael.

I see those as two different things though. Michael's personality is totally emo and gloomy, and that's what it seems like Wild Bill loves about him and wants to not fix. But the really big things that really upset Michael it seems like he DID want to fix.

I'm excited to see what you think of the rest of the series!

Kelly H. (Maybedog) As soon as I can afford them.