Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > While It Lasts

While It Lasts by Abbi Glines

Jun 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: new-adult-college, contemporary-romance

We Now Interrupt Your Regular Review Programming for a Rather Long Ramble.

I am going to opt out of writing a traditional review of this book. Here's my end note up front, so you can read it and move on while I stay behind and rant to myself :

Who should read this book? Anyone who loves protective, slightly possessive alpha males who are sexy as hell and love to think, talk and act dirty. If you like lots of great sexual tension, being inside of a man's head as he thinks naughty thoughts, and yummy foreplay leading up to when the couple seals the deal, you'll be good to go.

Who should NOT read this book? Anyone who rolls their eyes at super jealous alpha males, stories that focus on not much else except for romance and sex, or anyone who's read more than one Glines book before (other than Breathe because that one was her weakest) and struggles with the fact that not much changes from book to book other than minor location and story details.

*end review and commence rambling*

Abbi Glines is like wicked voodoo to me. I know I shouldn't be messing around with the stuff, yet I can't seem to stop doing it. Her repetitive alpha characters and plot devices constantly make me think of her as the Mature YA/New Adult version of Kristen Ashley, which is funny because I had to stop reading KA for the time being because of the repetitiveness, while I can't seem to make myself stop reading Glines. What I have managed to figure out, is that even though AG tends to push all of the buttons linked to what annoys me, she also manages to push the ones that trigger the happy "romance/love for sexual tension" factor in my brain (but in about half the page length of a KA book, so I'm not struggling to finish).

Quick time-out for the "grown-up" talk. This book was sexy as hell. The sex scenes were better than some I've read in full-on adult romance novels. Cage brought the dirty talk, the cocky attitude, and the naughty thoughts (loved, loved being in his head). If Glines excels at ONE thing it would be this : the sexual tension is off the charts. She teases us with hot kisses and growling and intimate touches, then moves up to hand jobs and undressing and exploration. Then when we're really all hot and bothered, she delivers with the sex (and she didn't leave out detail there either). I like how she works up to the act in stages. She really captures the wide range of foreplay and other sexual options that are normal for college age kids who are still figuring out if they want to give it up or not.

But when you take all of that away... I was hoping for so much more out of Cage's book. I felt like I was reading Beau (from Vincent Brothers) all over again. There are different ways for males to be alpha and protective without stepping in and getting mouthy before knowing what's going on. Is there even one guy in a Glines book who takes a second to think before reacting? Not all alphas are the SAME.

To be fair, I can appreciate the realism of jealousy and emotions and hormones. All of these things happen to most of us at some point or another. But WHY does every single guy have the same trigger reaction in every single book? There is such a thing as a brooding alpha or the kind who gives you those evil looks when you're acting in a way they don't like. Not every single alpha chooses to act like a drunken frat boy looking to smash faces in without first finding out what's really going on.

I honestly loved that Cage was protective of his best friend Willow and would have bent over backwards for her...BUT I was hoping that when he met a girl in this book, he'd meet someone who would banter back and forth with him, and that they'd develop a relationship through resistance because the girl wasn't going to put up with his crap. I wanted to see someone who would really challenge him. Instead, nope...we get another instance of a guy who is drawn to a girl with a sad story, and how he wants to do nothing more than comfort her and take her pain away. Then a bunch of misunderstandings happen and they both go back and forth pursuing each other while the other one runs. Bleh. It's regurgitated crap. REGURGITATED CRAP.

Please excuse me while I bang my head on the desk repeatedly over yet another book from this author. *pause*

Yet, I can't seem to stop reading AG books. I'm sure she'd probably pay me to quit reading her books because my reviews are probably doing more harm than good. However, for reasons unknown, I find reasons to keep reading, even with all of my major bitching and whining. Did I say this book was sexy as hell? Yes, I do believe that's probably why I keep reading.

If you plan on reading this series, do yourself a favor and skip right over Breathe, the first book. Really, the book was painful to read. It doesn't even connect to the second book in the series other than a brief cameo from the original characters. Just go ahead and start with Because of Low (Marcus is quite delicious), then read this one if you are interested.

Signing out...I officially need to step off the romance drama train and immerse myself in some gory zombie madness for a minute.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While It Lasts.

Mary I hope you like it, I love all Abbi books specially existence series

Isamlq lol! I just saw this too... :)

message 3: by Jas (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jas Can't wait to read this one too!

message 4: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jul 31, 2012 01:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) I've only read the prologue so far. I'm trying to hurry through the book I'm on, so I can get started on this tonight. Cage's book is the one I've really been looking forward to.

Mary wrote: "I hope you like it, I love all Abbi books specially existence series"

Her books are hit and miss for me. I like that they're easy and fun reads but they get a little bit over-sappy at times and the girls are often too self-conscious for my liking.

Steff I'm starting to read this one too

Shana I'm just starting this one too. I'm kind iffy whether or not I even want to read it but I'll give it a chance since I've liked her other books

Stacia (the 2010 club) I was actually looking forward to Cage's book the most. I love it when bad boys are reformed by a girl who grabs them by the balls. I loved all of the great sexual tension but was hoping for more from the actual story, which was kind of flat.

Shana This is one of those books that I am just not feeling but am going to force myself to read. I like the bad boy books too so I really don't know why I am balking at reading this one!

Joanna i think i get you...
i was hoping Cage wouldn't fall for someone so "innocent" or someone like Eva. (although, im still cool with that)
i wanted to see the BAD BOY thing. i mean the sweet/protective is good. but i kinda want to see how slutty he is.

message 10: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Aug 02, 2012 12:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Well, we kind of did when (view spoiler)

I so agree with the innocent thing though. The girls all seem to be virgins and the guys all seem to have had tons of experience. I think we need a book where the girl is the aggressor and the guy is the shy one.

Oh...and even though I thought the book was sexy, WTF was this comment?!? I'm about to pump this tight little hole with my finger. That was some awkward phrasing right there...

And the one where the girl said she creamed her panties from looking at Cage made me have one of those...eww...bad mental image moments.

Do you think there will be a next book? I noticed that Preston seemed protective over Amanda (whose sister was that? Marcus?)

Joanna i want him slutty all the way. he started out as not slutty. he was like the gentleman in this one.

lol! i agree with you on this one :I think we need a book where the girl is the aggressor and the guy is the shy one.
they are always virgins and guys are not. :/

yeah. with the awkward words. lol

Yeah, AG said there will be a fourth book about Preston. and yes, Marcus' sister, Amanda.

Stacia (the 2010 club) That could be fun. I don't have much of an opinion about either character, so at least I won't go in with any set expectations.

Joanna maybe the 4th book would have an aggressive female character. just maybe. i mean Amanda got trashy in WIL. although Preston is another playboy. so idk.

message 14: by Karla (new)

Karla I rather enjoyed your ranting Stacia!! Very nicely done!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Haha, thanks. :p

Taryn Great review, Stacia! I've been seeing this authors name around a lot lately. I loved what you said for who should and shouldn't read this book- it's actually what won me over. Thanks!

Stacia (the 2010 club) YW! People will either love or hate the author, depending on what they want to read. I still think people should skip the first book and start with number two, but I know not everyone can bring themselves to do it.

Shana Ok well ... It was definitely better then I expected. Cage was sexy! You're right about some of the awkward phrasing though. I laughed out loud at the at the finger pumping thing.

Stacia (the 2010 club) He really was sexy, I agree.

Isamlq Stacia ~ mistress of mediocrity wrote: "Well, we kind of did when [spoilers removed]

Oh my...! You've picked the two key moments that felt really odd/out of place for me. Both those bits were TMI, I thought. Overall, I thought this at par with second book in the series (which leagues better than the first.) Loving this review btw...

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Isa! I do think the books try a little too hard to push the envelope. It's as if we hit a good place and then it goes one step too far.

message 22: by Isamlq (last edited Aug 03, 2012 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Isamlq It's as if we hit a good place and then it goes one step too far."

EXACTLY!

♥Rachel♥ She does excel at creating sexual tension. Glad you enjoyed most of the ride. I had some issues with Cage's sudden transformation but had a lot of fun anyhow, too. Great review.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thank you Rachel. :)

Aleasha I agree - loved the sexual tension in this one. Breathe, the first one is definitley something to skip over!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Absolutely. Book 2 is a great starting point, since people will want to know who Low is in book 3.

Laraine I know what you mean about her books being addicting! I liked Vincent Brothers more than Sea Breeze 2 and 3. I'm hoping Fallen Too Far will be better.

Stacia (the 2010 club) LMAO. That's funny, Chiqui.

Laraine wrote: "I know what you mean about her books being addicting! I liked Vincent Brothers more than Sea Breeze 2 and 3. I'm hoping Fallen Too Far will be better."

I never saw this. Still haven't read Fallen Too Far, so I don't know.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I've been waiting a while because it looks too much like all of her other books and I feel like I might need some space so it doesn't bug me.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Breathe was pretty bad.

My favorite AG book is probably Because of Low, but I think a lot of that has to do with the order I read the books in and that was the first book by her that I really liked. I might not like Fallen because I've read similar concepts already, but if I'd read it first, I might have loved it because there'd be nothing to compare it to. Does that make sense?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

omg i couldn't agree more! i didn.t like breathe at all, its really different from the other sea breez books, and i had to make a huge effort to finish it! i actually don't like these romance books but abbi makes me addicted to her writing i can't stop reading it! although, she is also very repetitive, and cage,marcus, preston etc are all really protective, which is not my type, i still loved all of them

ArmyGirls Read too Liked the review! I completely agree with you 200%. There was just so much lacking the characters. It just didn't appeal to me so much. Felt like we are missing out on such a great story.

Michelle "However, for reasons unknown, I find reasons to keep reading, even with all of my major bitching and whining." I feel the same time way!