Fabian's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

liked it

The effort deserves much applause indeed. The story is given to us via a peculiar POV: that of a five-year old boy who has never left the titular place, has lived all five years in extreme isolation with his mother. His innocence and curiosity is both unnerving & obnoxious. The overly deconstructionist prose is often times incoherent, then, just out of the blue, the kid gives us a brave listing of all the components that may carry with them a certain patina of poetry—in other words the authenticity is sorta questionable. I don’t know what the big deal is, as I’ve read (despite maestro Michael Cunningham’s overly-enthusiastic endorsement that it is very unique) “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time,” a more melancholy & more superb experiment involving kid's P.O.V. narration & the limitations actually have a REAL purpose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

June 8, 2012 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 17, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Cecily "unnerving and obnoxious" - I think you've succinctly stated the basis for my dislike of this book.

Fabian I feel I also dislike this one. Maybe too generous with the stars. The point of view was so... just... I could do without it!

message 3: by Rae (new)

Rae Meadows Yes. The child narrator is a tough one to pull off without being cloying or not believable. I would also put in this category Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Fabian Rae wrote: "Yes. The child narrator is a tough one to pull off without being cloying or not believable. I would also put in this category Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close."
Oh, don't tell me that! That one is on my queue! And wasn't the film adaptation to that one also garner an Oscar Best Pic nomination? Perhaps there's a pattern here...

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith The style was very off putting, as well as the child still breast feeding. But having a narrator too young to know right from wrong was morally fascinating.

Fabian Bill wrote: "The style was very off putting, as well as the child still breast feeding. But having a narrator too young to know right from wrong was morally fascinating."
Without a doubt.

Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜ I have the book the exact same rating. Creative idea but doesn't come out well when put on paper.

Fabian Erin the Avid Reader ★Wiccan Girl, Too★ wrote: "I have the book the exact same rating. Creative idea but doesn't come out well when put on paper." a huh. f

message 9: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Rodda The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time was very well done

Mrs. Danvers Yes, not to mention the fact that the thought experiment of writing in the voice of a child to convey information to adults comes to an abrupt halt when plot has to be forwarded. I thought the exposition was mildly interesting if a bit prurient and the plot was ruthlessly terrible.

Cecily Mrs. Danvers wrote: "Yes, not to mention the fact that the thought experiment of writing in the voice of a child to convey information to adults comes to an abrupt halt..."

And not to mention the fact that even before that point, Jack's voice is infuriatingly and implausibly inconsistent.

Mariah Roze Room by Emma Donoghue
Our Diversity in All Forms book Club is reading this for May. We’d love to have you join the discussion on it. :) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Amber I enjoyed this one too. It was such a sad read. We read this at one of our fiction book club reads at the reading for pleasure book club and everyone enjoyed it. I thought the movie was great too but its a totally sad story.

message 14: by Ruci (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ruci Tukana Yes !totally agree Fabian. Its authenticity is questionable!