Evelyn's Reviews > The Expats

The Expats by Chris Pavone

Jun 08, 2012

Read in June, 2012

Kate is a CIA agent whose husband and two young sons have no clue about what she actually does for a living. Her husband thinks she's a deskbound analyst who works for the CIA producing boring and not very significant reports.

When her computer geek husband gets a job with a Luxembourg based bank as an internet security specialist, she quits her job, the family move to Luxembourg and Kate becomes a stay at home expat mom. But she can't help being suspicious of individuals and situations she runs into. And with good reason as Kate begins to unravel a web of lies that surround her.

Though I liked the premise, the book took too long to get to the point and I started to feel as though the author were trying way too hard to sell this book as a movie with oh, maybe Angelina Jolie in the lead role (the hubby, however was not Brad Pitt caliber). A tighter plot, along with a shorter slog to the conclusion would have helped a lot. However, the end was satisfying.

I'd probably give this book a 3.5 if the rating system allowed, but because the story overall was fun and the ending had a few nice twists, I've rounded up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Expats.