Jessica at Book Sake's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Jun 08, 2012

Book Review by Kole for Book Sake.
I want to say that I think the Scorpio Races was a good book, but I don’t think it was the book for me. I like books that have a little bit more going on, while this book is mostly about emotion, and the story between characters. I’m not saying that it’s bad, the book was very well written and the story was great, but I don’t think the book is for everyone. I expected a little bit more action, or at least more than just a couple pages of them racing. I went into the book thinking it was about the races, but it was mostly about preparing for the races. I have to admit though that the book makes you feel lots of emotions for the characters, and quite often. I think the ending was a pretty good pay off for the book, it summed up almost everything and left it on a bitter-sweet note.
Book Rating: 4/5

Book Review by Jessica for Book Sake.
This book has been on my TBR list since before it came out. Imagine my happiness when Kole found out he was required to read it over the summer for his AP English class.

Having never heard of the myths or stories of these types of horses before (no spoilers here), I did a double take when trying to wrap my head around what was happening in the story. I, like Kole, also expected the book to be more about the actual races, not have it limited to a few pages. It would have been a completely different book if it was written that way and I think that Steifvater’s approach was a great one. This way she was able to explore the different characters and their relationships with one another. As I am always a fan of a character driven story, this was my sort of read.

There is a little bit of action sprinkled here and there throughout the book, just where it was needed to keep things interesting for the race. Again though, the characters are the big stars here. There are a few that I adored and looked forward to every scene that they showed up in. There were also those that left me complaining to Kole about “that jerk”. (Ah the joys of reading a book at the same time!)

Steifvater’s writing is consistent, fluid, and makes anything she touches intriguing and slightly off-kilter. I think the off-kilter bit is what makes her writing unique and distinguishable and that’s what will make me seek out more of her work.
Book Rating: 4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

June 8, 2012 – Started Reading
page 332
June 30, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Maree I'm definitely a fan of character-driven too, sorry that Kole isn't so much. Great reviews!