megs_bookrack's Reviews > Second Chances

Second Chances by P.D. Cacek

liked it
bookshelves: arcs-read

Second Chances is the follow-up to P.D. Cacek's 2019 release, Second Lives, which I read and reviewed last year.

In that novel, we learn of a global phenomenon where souls, in some cases, a long time dead, are reincarnated into the bodies of recently deceased humans.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the bizarre occurrences, but the newly reinvigorated souls are known as Travelers, mostly accepted within society and protected under the law.

In some cases, the families of the recently deceased people, now inhabited by the new souls, agree to take these Travelers in and basically absorb them into their families. This has its complications since these people are strangers, often very different from the new bodies they are inhabiting.

It's an odd concept, but definitely creative and also quite interesting to think about.

In this installment, we are mainly following twins, Jessie and Abbie, whose father is the leader of a religious movement known as, True Borns.

Daddy's main area of focus happens to be preaching hate against the Travelers, or Imposters, as they call them. Otherwise known as Imps.

We also follow a mentally unstable teen boy and his equally unstable mother, as well as a few other people related to the Traveler phenomenon.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one, y'all. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first novel.

It was definitely interesting, particularly the overall picture of what is going on in this world. If you think about the ramifications of this, should it actually happen, it's creepy AF.

With this being said, there were also large portions, or storylines, of this book that just didn't sit right with me. Frankly, they made me uncomfortable, but I am having a hard time verbalizing why.

Particularly, Jessie's storyline as a trans character, but also the treatment of mental health for Curtis and his mother. I would definitely be interested in seeing OWN voices reviews, should they come up.

Overall, I just don't think it was a solid match for my tastes.

It is a good book though, don't get me wrong. I would recommend picking it up, especially if you really enjoyed the first book.

Thank you so much to the publisher, Flame Tree Press, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review. I appreciate the opportunity!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Chances.

July 16, 2020 – Shelved
July 16, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
October 28, 2020 – Started Reading
October 29, 2020 –
October 29, 2020 –
20.0% "I'll admit some of this is making me uncomfortable."
November 1, 2020 –
58.0% "Eva is a wretched woman.
I wish her husband would leave her.
I feel so bad for him and the way he is treated.
It's giving me anxiety, honestly 😖"
November 2, 2020 –
November 8, 2020 –
November 15, 2020 –
78.0% "I can't imagine being Jessie.
Trapped in someone else's body with that insane woman fluttering around me. 😳"
November 16, 2020 –