Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)'s Reviews > Enslaved in Shadows

Jun 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, shifters, 2012-new-to-me-author
Read from June 08 to 16, 2012

My Rating: 3 stars: Liked it, but I had some issues (B)
Full Review: http://www.twimom227.com/2012/06/revi...

The story begins about five years in the past with best friends Jesminda and Belinda on a get-away-from-it-all trip to Belize. While relaxing at a bar, tall, dark and handsome Draven catches the eye of Jes and likewise, Draven is inexplicably drawn to Jes. This leads to an evening of hot jungle sex, where names are not allowed. Draven, a wolf shifter, feels too close to human Jes, and decides he cannot afford more than one encounter.

Forward ahead to present day, where Draven is part of an elite supernatural enforcement team set up to keep the paranormal appearing normal to the outside world. Unfortunately, there is a bit of bad going down and a human drug runner, Marcus is kidnapping vampires to drain them of their blood. Draven’s team is in charge of protecting Marcus’s ex-wife and her child - Jes and her five-year old girl, Faith.

The first few chapters of Enslaved in Shadows lays out a fairly complex world full of supernatural beings of all shapes and sizes. Some we’ve seen before in other books, but others I’ve never read about before. The world is not unfamiliar, but Ms. Eden has added her own flavor and interpretations to some traditional creatures, together making her own unique platform.

As for our hero and heroine... Although Draven and Jes share a lot of passion and extremely sexy scenes, I had some difficulty connecting with the pair as a couple. I think it's because Ms. Eden does such a convincing job writing Jes's character. Jes is a broken woman. She has been abused and misused so horribly by her ex, Marcus, that she cannot connect with Draven in any way emotionally.

I do feel I need to mention that this book has some disturbing torture scenes. There is an interrogation of a traitor at the Unit’s headquarters, as well as some torture scenes involving Jes. These scenes are extremely graphic and unnecessarily gory. I found them very upsetting.

Enslaved in Shadows is a good start for this first time author. I felt that the writing could have been stronger - more developed, and at times the voice and tone of book changed from scene to scene. However, I enjoyed the world that has been created in Enslaved in Shadows. There are new paranormal creatures that we haven't seen before. Mysterious, hot men - all with stories begging to be told. The story is suspenseful and has an interesting overall plot. I look forward to find out where the path leads next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enslaved in Shadows.

06/16/2012

Danielle I completely agree with you. I too felt the torture scene was a bit gross and would have rather skipped some parts of it.