Anna's Reviews > Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Jun 08, 2012

bookshelves: americana, classics, historical-fiction, 5-stars, read-in-2012, tortured-heroes, family-saga, chunkster
Read from July 20 to August 07, 2012

I’ve somehow got to my forties having neither read or watched Gone With The Wind. No idea how that can have happened, but I’m SO glad I finally joined the party - better late than never!

The characters are beautifully crafted, warts n' all, and I so enjoyed the struggles and squabbles of Scarlett, Mammy, Melly and Aunt Pittypat. The horrors of the Civil War and its aftermath are told shockingly and movingly, and as a Brit, I’d now like to read more about it. The only two things I didn't have much time for were Ashley (what a total sap) and Rhett. Yes really, Rhett.

Having spent a life time being told what devilishly romantic hero Rhett is, I just wasn’t getting what all the fuss was about and was disappointed in him....until around the 800 page mark. And then BAM. All it took was a proposal and my love affair with him finally began! I LOVED those last 200 pages, with Rhett so full of passion, angst and heartbreak. Oh how my heart bled for him; why couldn't Scarlett see what she was doing to him? Everyone knows how the books ends, but it wasn’t until I’d read the whole story for myself that I finally got the full impact of that iconic last line. What a man.

And what a book. Wow. I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind.

07/21/2012 page 75
7.0% "Beginning of chaper 5. Loving this. It's so easy to get into, these 1000 pages are gonna zip along!" 8 comments
07/23/2012 page 128
13.0% "Beginning of chapter 7. So, Mr Butler, we meet at last....."
07/24/2012 page 193
19.0% "Chapter 10. Well I do declare, such scandalous dancing!"
07/25/2012 page 258
25.0% "Chapter 15. A rollercoaster of a read today with bonnet chemistry and casualty lists of war. Sexy sparks and heartbreaking emotion; loving this book." 2 comments
07/26/2012 page 305
30.0% "Chapter 18. A stolen kiss from one, and a promised kiss from another...." 2 comments
07/27/2012 page 384
38.0% "Chapter 24. Another rollercoaster today, with the horrors and desperation of the civil war, and then amongst all the heartache and suffering, the promised kiss. I couldn’t be swept up in all this any more if I tried." 2 comments
07/31/2012 page 475
46.0% "Chapter 29. As God is my witness, I'm never going to be hungry again."
08/01/2012 page 537
52.0% "Chapter 33. Awaiting the imminent return of Rhett...."
08/02/2012 page 628
61.0% "Chapter 38. Oh Scarlett, what a tangled web you weave. A hubby and a mill, but no Butler."
08/04/2012 page 760
74.0% "Chapter 44. All the gang back are together again. Some are wheeler-dealering, some are do-gooding, some are stuck in the past, and some are battling for the future. Rhett’s still only an occasional onlooker though. With 250 pages to go, will he ever become a main player in this story....?" 2 comments
08/06/2012 page 876
86.0% "Chapter 52. It’s taken 800 pages, but finally I get all the fuss over Rhett. Oh how my heart bleeds for him. Why can’t Scarlett see what she’s doing to him?" 2 comments

Comments (showing 86-135)

Jemidar Wanna add this to our pile? I haven't read this since I was a teenager and I have it here ready for a reread :-).

message 134: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I've never read it, nor seen the film. Frankly my dear, I'll add it to our list!

message 133: by Jemidar (last edited Jun 08, 2012 07:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar Frankly, in the book there's no 'my dear' ;-).

I went through a GWTW phase at about 18 or 19--read the book, saw the movie numerous times and read all those behind the scenes books & memoirs. Saw half of the movie (they showed it in two parts and I forgot to watch the second bit! Doh!) about 6 months ago and it had stood the test of time so much so that I rustled up the book for a reread. It'll be interesting to see what I think after all these years.

message 132: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna No 'my dear?' Well, you learn something new every day. And that line is so iconic!

Hope the book stands the test of time for you in the same way that the first part (!) of the film did.

message 131: by Jemidar (last edited Jun 08, 2012 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar The film makers originally were going to take out the 'damn' because of the censors (this was the 1930s) but decided that it was too good a line not to include, so softened the swear word down with 'my dear' so it didn't sound so harsh. The original "Frankly, I don't give a damn" IMO is so much better :-).

message 130: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Aw bless, well we wouldn't want the 1930s audience fainting in the aisles over such reckless profanity!

I'll get the book ordered in. Shall we do it sooner rather than later? It sounds to me like a long lazy summer read...although to you it would be winter!

Jemidar Happy anytime as I've got it here ready to go. We could make it our July read if you want. We certainly love the chunksters, don't we?

message 128: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Hehe, does bigger mean better? ;-)

Mid July would be good for me, that's when I finish school. We only get six weeks off for summer, but even that can drag, so an epic read would do me nicely :-)

Jemidar Cool. Mid July it is :-).

Jemidar Already? But it's not Saturday there yet!

message 125: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna School's out...bring on the 1000 pages!

message 124: by [deleted user] (new)

Have fun you two! :D

Jemidar Anna wrote: "School's out...bring on the 1000 pages!"

Just don't get too far ahead!!

Thanks Jeanette :-).

message 122: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim This is where I read Gone with the Wind. It was late November 1975, I had just finished my final high school exams and for two to three weeks I spent every afternoon at this beach, sunbaking and reading GwtW. I used to sit on the rocks you can see just beyond the pool. Ah, memories!

description

message 121: by Misfit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Misfit Oh, I am looking forward to updates on this. Get reading ladies :)

message 120: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice, Kim! :)

Jemidar Kim wrote: "This is where I read Gone with the Wind. It was late November 1975, I had just finished my final high school exams and for two to three weeks I spent every afternoon at this beach, sunbaking and re..."

Bondi?

message 118: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Jemidar wrote: "Bondi? ..."

Bronte.

Jemidar Ahhh, didn't think it looked quite right for Bondi! Not sure I've ever been to Bronte...

message 116: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Never had a picnic or a bbq in the park there? We used to do that all the time. This is a picture taken on Australia Day, so it's a bit busier than usual.

description

Jemidar No, I don't think so. I remember going to a party at Bronte (the suburb) once but that wasn't the actual beach. Not being a local, if I went over that way it was usually to Bondi or the cliffs around Tamarama.

message 114: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Bronte's the next beach around from Tamarama. Waverley Cemetery (the best located cemetery in the world, I think!) is just after Bronte.

Jemidar Then I may well have seen it from a distance :-).

message 112: by Anna (last edited Jul 21, 2012 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Kim, that first photo, wow!

J, I'm at the beginning of chapter 5, but will hold off any more till I know where you're at. Loving it! It's already sweeping me up like an epic should.

Any idea when Rhett first appears? I know nothing about this story. I know, crazy, huh?!? I seem to remember my mum mentioning years ago what may happen to Ashley, but no spoilers please...apart from how long till Rhett! Is he a good guy or a badboy? See, I really do know nothing about it ;-p

message 111: by Misfit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Misfit IIRC correctly, Rhett makes a brief appearance early on. That's all I will tell you.

message 110: by Jemidar (last edited Jul 21, 2012 06:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar Rhett appears at the BBQ at Twelve Oaks. Definitely a bad boy. You're going to love him!

ETA: What does you mother say happens to Ashley? Just curious.

message 109: by Misfit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Misfit Jemidar wrote: "Rhett appears at the BBQ at Twelve Oaks. Definitely a bad boy. You're going to love him!"

I adore Rhett.

message 108: by Jemidar (last edited Jul 21, 2012 06:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar Misfit wrote: "I adore Rhett."

So do I. (view spoiler) Love him to bits!

message 107: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane I love the fact that they're all so flawed. Well, except for Melanie, perhaps. Darn I'm really going to have to read it again. Wonder if I still have my copy?

*Sound of footsteps*

Nope, I didn't think I'd been able to repair it when it disintegrated.

Just discovered I have $12.34 in points on Amazon. Dilemma: which format to purchase?

message 106: by Misfit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Misfit Jane wrote: "I love the fact that they're all so flawed. Well, except for Melanie, perhaps. Darn I'm really going to have to read it again. Wonder if I still have my copy?

*Sound of footsteps*

Nope, I didn't ..."

I read this as a young teen, and then again a few years ago as a grown up. What a difference in reading experience.

I have a TP version that is fairly easy to hold and read, but a kindle version would be tempting.

message 105: by Karla (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karla Last time I watched the movie, Melanie made me cry & I adored Ashley for the first time. I guess I've seen it so often that my brain was looking for new ground. :-P. But it was so weird how much Melanie/Ashley turned me into a basketcase.

message 104: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Misfit, what's the ISBN of your version? My old one was a MMPB so no wonder it fell to bits...if I'm going to invest in another I want it to see me out.

Karla, Melanie kind of makes me barf in the movie version, but I think I liked her more on paper. As for Leslie Howard, yowza, plus he died flying planes in WWII, so he was a hero.

Jemidar The last time I read this was probably nearly thirty years ago so I'm interested to see how different it is for me this time around. One difference is that I'm noticing just how young Scarlett is (after watching the movie so many times I'd forgotten that) and she seems less annoying and more sympathetic because of it.

I love how flawed they all are too!

I took one look at the small print in my MMPB and headed straight over to Amazon and bought a cheapie Kindle version. Much easier to hold and read :-).

Jane, why don't you grab yourself a Kindle copy and join us?

message 102: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Jemidar wrote: Rhett appears at the BBQ at Twelve Oaks. Definitely a bad boy. You're going to love him!

Ah good, the BBQ is coming up next. Badboy, eh? Squeeeee!!

Yes, join us Jane. And anyone else who fancies a re-read. I love how you're all going gaga for this story! Just go careful with any spoilers as I'm a GWTW virgin! SO tempted to peep at your spoiler J, but have somehow held off. Argghhhh, I SO wanna meet Rhett. Get me to that BBQ....

message 101: by Misfit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Misfit Jane wrote: "Misfit, what's the ISBN of your version? My old one was a MMPB so no wonder it fell to bits...if I'm going to invest in another I want it to see me out.

Karla, Melanie kind of makes me barf in the..."

Jane, I will try to find it and let you know.

message 100: by Jemidar (last edited Jul 22, 2012 05:15AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar Anna wrote: "Ah good, the BBQ is coming up next. Badboy, eh? Squeeeee!!"

And the best sort of bad boy...he does some serious brooding in the second half of the book! IMO Clarke Gable, as good as he was as Rhett, just never measured up to the real thing.

The scene where Scarlett and Rhett meet is wonderful :-).

message 99: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Ahhh, dark and brooding badboys, is there anything better?!

*whispers* Clark Gable, and actors of his time, do nowt for me.

Bet you'll never guess who I'm gonna be picturing in the role as I read ;-p

Jemidar Groan...

Misfit I loved their first meeting.

message 96: by Anna (last edited Jul 22, 2012 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Jemidar wrote: Groan...

In all of his stubbly, brooding, chocolate voiced glory. It would be rude of me not too...

Ok Misfit, paradoy noted! I'll also have to go and get the film when I'm done too.

message 95: by Jemidar (last edited Jul 22, 2012 06:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar Only trouble is, Rhett doesn't have stubble. He has black hair and a mustache! LOL. The chocolate voice is good though :-).

ETA: Ohh, just remembered there is a bit where he is all disheveled with stubble. Anna heaven!

message 94: by [deleted user] (new)

As long as he doesn't have a beard, Anna will be in heaven! ;)

I considered joining you, but this is yet another book that is checked out right now at my library! Arrgggh!

message 93: by Jemidar (last edited Jul 22, 2012 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar There's cheapo Kindle versions available. I think I paid $1.99 for mine.

ETA: Just checked and there are a couple of 99c editions available so come on in :-).

message 92: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Not in the States, there aren't. The Kindle edition is more expensive than the paperback of the same edition - over $13.

And I've just been invited to join a book group IRL that I may actually consider, so I have to look at their current book as well. I don't usually want to join book clubs, but I like some of the members.

message 91: by [deleted user] (new)

message 90: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 22, 2012 07:04AM) (new)

Misfit wrote: "I loved their first meeting.

BTW, after you are done Anna, head over to YouTube and find clips from the parody they did of it on the Carol Burnett show. Sooooooooooo funny."

I remember that parody! It's been a long time.....

Jemidar Jeannette wrote: "I might be able to get a copy today from the Uni library -- mind if I join in? (I was surprised at the $13 price tag for the kindle, too!)"

Sure! Hope you can manage to get hold of a copy. That $13 one for you is over $14 for us. I couldn't believe the price of it either but luckily (and for once!) we have other options.

message 88: by Anna (last edited Jul 22, 2012 08:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna J, mustaches creep me out. My Rhett will have stubble ;-)

Welcome along, Jeannette! What with you just joining and J wanting to take it slowly right now, I'm not gonna read any more until we're all ready to go. As much as I want to carry on, I don't think this is a fits n' starts read, so just yell when you're all fighting fit and we can get properly stuck in :-)

message 87: by [deleted user] (new)

No mustaches, either? Just that stubble burn for you..... ;)

We have a trip planned to campus for early afternoon. If it's a good as you say (I've never read it), I should be caught up soon. I'll make sure to post before you go to bed. :)

Thanks to both of you for inviting me along. (Another chunkster!)

message 86: by Jemidar (last edited Jul 22, 2012 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar Anna wrote: "J, mustaches creep me out. My Rhett will have stubble ;-)

There goes the fortune teller's prediction that Scarlett will marry a man with black hair and a mustache! LOL.

I really don't mind if you want to keep reading Anna. I'm sure your enthusiasm will keep both Jeannette and I going and I'm sure we'll manage to catch up. I'm about to go to bed and read a bit more. I think I'm currently halfway through Chapter 3.

« previous 1 3