Jessamine's Reviews > Into the Land of the Unicorns

Into the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce Coville

Jun 08, 2012

liked it
Read from July 10 to 11, 2012 , read count: 2

I recall reading this as a young girl, back in about sixth grade when I was preoccupied with horses and unicorns. To this day, I still love horses and unicorns, along with dragons and lady knights and mages.

There are many books that can be enjoyed no matter what age you read them, time and time again. However, though I reread Into the Land of the Unicorns with much nostalgia and fondness, I didn't like it quite as much at age 18 than I did at age 12. I wouldn't recommend reading it at an older age because you may find that it lacks the profundity of a more mature read.

The world of Luster that Bruce Coville has woven is indeed a marvelous sounding place, full of rich description and described in detail; however, I found that there wasn't too much depth put into the main character, Cara. Her background is sprung upon you towards the latter half of the book, and I didn't see too much character building or growth as she journeyed through Luster.

The book itself in regards to pacing and my need to continue was lacking. I put it down after the second or third chapter, then came back to it another day just to finish it. It's a relatively short read, as its audience is a younger one.

All in all, I'd give it a three for nostalgia, world-building, and a likeable cast of side characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Land of the Unicorns.