Cat Spearey's Reviews > The Strange Book of Jacob Boyce

The Strange Book of Jacob Boyce by Tom Gillespie

liked it
bookshelves: arc, review-copy, kindle

Wow, okay. This is going to be a really short review because it’s hard to talk about without ruining some aspect of the story.

There are some aspects of The Strange Book of Jacob Boyce that I loved - it was mysterious, it bent genres and is probably the most creative book, in terms of content, that I’ve read this year. It is ambitious and it doesn’t hold back and that is amazing. By the end of the book I felt it covered a lot of ground in regards to dealing with grief and loss - hard topics to contain in the narrative!

However I did find that there were some things I didn’t enjoy which, while small, really affected my overall enjoyment of the story. I didn’t like Jacob, as a character I couldn’t get into his head and that really made me lose connection since we spent the entire novel following him - maybe this is intentional? He is strange after all. I also didn’t enjoy that amount of spanish in the novel - I have nothing against the language but to be honest, I don’t understand it so anything written in spanish was words I just skimmed over and it became another thing which kicked me out of connection with the narrative.

As you can see, these might be insignificant details to some people and I would always urge anyone to read something even if I took some negatives away. Parts of this novel I felt were very Da Vinci Code (I’m not ashamed to say I enjoyed that book) and you can really feel the amount of research and work that went into the writing; Gillespie has a lot of talent in his writing style and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for his books in future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Book of Jacob Boyce.

July 15, 2020 – Started Reading