Keryn's Reviews > Write Away : One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life

Write Away  by Elizabeth  George

Jun 07, 2012

bookshelves: self-help
Read from June 07 to 19, 2012

I wrote copious notes from this book for use in my own writing development. Halfway through, I rushed out and bought one of Elizabeth George's novels ('Careless in Red' published after this novel) because I wanted to read it in parallel, in order to experience her craft in action. For she definitely separates art from craft in writing, and this was an 'Aha!' moment for me. I was so fascinated by the aspects of craft illustrated through the excerpts she quotes from her work that I needed to follow them through into a full novel. And oh, she is good. This book is easy to read, well-structured and practical. The author's ability to teach writing shines through. I especially loved her character prompt sheet (not to be filled in, only to prompt your stream-of-consciousness writing on the characters before starting the novel!), her creation of truly memorable settings (I forget that people tell me how real I make a place') and her philosophy of writing: 'You will be published if you possess three qualities: talent, passion and discipline...But if all you possess is talent and passion, you will not be published...A lot of writing is simply showing up. A lot of writing is being willing to show up, day after day, same time and same place.' I believe Elizabeth George's novel 'Write Away' is food for any aspiring writer. Feast on it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Write Away .

07/20/2016 marked as: read