EmBibliophile's Reviews > Before the Coffee Gets Cold

Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi

bookshelves: 4-stars

This was a case of love at first sight. I had no idea what this book was about. I only read the first line in the synopsis and then I randomly got it. Time travel is such a fascinating subject to me. In this book it was done in such a unique, heartwarming, and a really touching way. It’s a book that made me both happy and sad. It put such a sad smile on my face.

A Cafe that gives you an opportunity to time-travel, if given the chance who would you like to meet? With a set of rules that make all of that seem “pointless”, like how you must come back before your coffee gets cold and no matter what you do, you can’t change the present. Is it still worth it?

I don’t think I’ve ever read anything like that book before. The book was so interesting and heartwarming to read. The last two stories made me so freakin emotional. My only complain is that it kind of lacked depth, I wanted more. Such a lovely easy to read beautiful book that would make you both feel and think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before the Coffee Gets Cold.

Started Reading
July 15, 2020 – Shelved
July 15, 2020 – Shelved as: 4-stars
July 15, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

⚜ Antonella ⚜ This one is a little gem 😍 I'm glad you enjoyed it! I too thought the characters and the stories were lacking some depth (especially the first one), but it may just be cause it was originally written as a stage play 🤔

EmBibliophile Really? I didn’t know that it was originally a stage play, I though it was a translated novel. But yes now it makes sense why it felt like the book depended on the dialogue. I also saw that it was tuned into a movie and I kinda wanna see that! I’m so glad to know that you read it and loved it as well!! It’s such a beautiful book! xx

message 3: by Kilikina (new)

Kilikina Awesome review as always!! ☺️

EmBibliophile Aww that’s so nice of you! Thank you sweetie!! xx

preoccupiedbybooks This sounds so interesting Em! Thanks for putting it on my radar 😘

EmBibliophile It’s such an interesting and beautiful book indeed! I’d love to hear your thoughts about it!! xx

Lucy Great review! I just read this book and thought it was great. The cafe is such an interesting approach to the idea of time travel.

EmBibliophile Exactly! I’m so glad you enjoyed it too. This is one of those books that I still think about! The idea of the cafe was so good and so unique and the book has that cozy warm atmosphere that I really loved! xx