Jena Henry's Reviews > The House Party

The House Party by Mary Grand

I have followed Author Mary Grand for five years now, and I jumped at the chance to read an advance review copy of her latest book, The House Party. Her earlier books featured intimate portraits of characters that I bonded with and still remember. And this mystery also features Ms. Grand’s insightful and deft touch with her characters.

Why does life always seem to be fine, until it isn’t? Main character Beth lives on the lovely Isle of Wight with her kind and hardworking pharmacist husband Sami, two teenage children, and a darling pet dog. All seems well and normal- daily life is busy, sometimes the kids do something eye-rolling, maybe she and Sami aren’t quite as star-crossed as they once were, but no worries.

Until Beth and her family go to a house party with their close friends. They are there to celebrate the new and fabulous house built by Kathleen and Patrick. The evening takes a surprising turn when Kathleen privately confesses to Beth that something sinister is happening. Someone knows Kathleen’s secret. Early the next morning, Kathleen is found dead below the cliffs of her property.

Beth can’t believe that Kathleen would have harmed herself. Beth begins to observe the families that were at the house party. Altogether, there were only 11 (forgive me if I didn’t count right!) of them. Is one of them the killer? Will more people die?

This book has a quiet, slow-moving plot which I found made it all the more suspenseful, creepy, and tingly. The House Party is filled with real characters, and lovely scenes of the Isle of Wight.

Everyone has secrets, right? Who knows yours?

Thanks to NetGalley and Boldwood Books for a digital advance review copy. This is my honest review. Highly recommend.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House Party.

Finished Reading