megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Wife Upstairs

The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins

bookshelves: arcs-read

**4.5-stars**

Channeling the naturally-gothic atmosphere of the American South, The Wife Upstairs puts a decidedly modern twist on the beloved classic, Jane Eyre.

Jane Bell is new to Alabama. Living on the outskirts of the posh Thornfield Estates neighborhood, Jane originally works in a coffee shop, but then takes up dog-walking for the wealthy families within Thornfield.

She begins to learns the ins-and-outs of their world, envying their lifestyle and occasionally taking a little piece of it for herself.

Jane is especially interested in the largest and most opulent property of all, imagining what it would be like to live there.

Once she meets the homeowner, a handsome young Widower, Eddie Rochester, things begin to change quite quickly for Jane.

As she and Eddie start a relationship, Jane can't help but be curious about his late-wife, Bea, whose presence is still very much felt in his life.

The more she learns about Bea, the more she wonders what Eddie sees in her?

When questions begin to arise about Bea's disappearance and assumed death, Jane becomes even more suspicious of the man she believes she is falling in love with.

Full of small town gossip and drama, this story was a cleverly-plotted, modern-interpretation of the classic tale. While I have never read Jane Eyre, after this, I really want to!

I enjoyed how Hawkins gave us alternating perspectives between present-time, Jane, and past-Bea. The evolution of the story was very nicely done.

These perspective shifts also made the reveals fun and fast-paced.

Even though most of us know the basic outline of Jane Eyre, I enjoyed where Hawkins took it.

In particular, I enjoyed how morally grey, Jane was. She's not a helpless Ingenue looking for a savior. She is clearly a girl who can take care of herself. I loved that.

If you are in the mood for a fast, super-fun Domestic Suspense novel, look no further. Pick this up and enjoy the show!

Thank you so much to the publisher, St. Martin's Press, for providing me with copy to read and review. I appreciate it so much and look forward to Hawkins writing more in the Adult space!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wife Upstairs.

July 15, 2020 – Shelved
July 15, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
December 31, 2020 – Started Reading
January 1, 2021 –
January 2, 2021 – Shelved as: arcs-read
January 2, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Brandice Reading this now and enjoying it! Great review, Meg!

megs_bookrack Brandice wrote: "Reading this now and enjoying it! Great review, Meg!" Oh, yayeee! Glad you are enjoying it, Brandice. There's nothing groundbreaking about it, but it is a ton of fun and I loved the spin she put on the classic! xx

Books Just 4 Me Great review! Looking forward to reading this 🤗

megs_bookrack Books Just 4 Me wrote: "Great review! Looking forward to reading this 🤗" Thank you so much!! I hope you end up enjoying it as much as I did! xx

message 5: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Loved your review and add ons!

megs_bookrack Donna wrote: "Loved your review and add ons!" Thank you so much, Donna! I appreciate your kindness! xx

message 7: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Sobion Great review i will surely be checking this one out 😊

megs_bookrack Celeste wrote: "Great review i will surely be checking this one out 😊" Thank you! It was so fun! I hope you enjoy it, Celeste! xx