Brian's Reviews > The Loney

The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley

Andrew Michael Hurley’s The Loney is a novel about two brothers who make a pilgrimage from London to the stretch of Lancashire coast that sits between the Lune and Wyre estuaries, known as the Loney. There, over the Easter period, they stay in a big old house with their parents, their parish priest, and some of their fellow parishioners. The bulk of the novel is set in the 1970s, but it begins and ends in the present day.

The above paragraph sums up what the book is about, but it doesn’t come close to doing it justice. This is one of the most beautifully written novels I have ever read, with stunning scene setting passages and haunting, eerie narration.

I grew up a catholic in East Lancashire during the 1970s and 1980s, so I can relate to many of the elements in the story. I can also relate to the attitudes of the locals as they are shaped by Hurley. The rural north has changed considerably nowadays, but back then, it was very much as he describes.

There is not a single thing I disliked about this novel. If I were to be nit-picky, I might say it wasn’t clear when it was set until the very end when the protagonist mentions the 1970s, although I personally guessed the time period.

Highly recommended for fans of the Folk Horror genre, but also for those who love to read novels that are abundant with stunning descriptions of nature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Loney.

July 15, 2020 – Shelved
July 15, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
October 26, 2020 – Started Reading
October 27, 2020 –
16.0% "I've read four chapters so far, and absolutely love what I have read. Hurley's voice is distinctive and strong, and his scene-setting description is some of the most beautiful I have ever read. I suspect this book is going to be one I will remember for a long time."
November 1, 2020 – Finished Reading