Roslin's Reviews > Strange Angels

Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow

U 50x66
Jun 07, 2012

For me, this was the first YA book that i'd properly enjoyed in a long while. It was suspenseful, the characters were written realistically with depth, and their emotions really came across.

I know many reviewers have bashed the protagonist, Dru, for being the stereotypical, badass, 'eff off i can look after myself' sort of character who spent too much of the book breaking down and asking stupid questions. She's not a perfect character - and she shouldn't be, because perfect people don't exist. Dru reacted to situations in a way that i thought was logical for her character. A little mental breakdown is understandable when you've killed your zombified father and now you're on your own with some truly creepy things-of-the-night after you.

The author has a fresh writing style, often describing things with unique phrases that haven't been overused by melodramatic authors. The writing doesn't sound as if the author had written it with a thesaurus in hand.

My only problems with this book was the character of Christohpe - he gave me a bit of a "Edward Cullen" vibe. Also, the vampire vs werewolf thing has been done quite a few times already, so sticking in unnecessary tension between the two male lead characters is getting a bit tiring. The supernatural sounds very familiar, and the "you're-special-coz-you're-actually-not-human" does too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Angels.