Joyce's Reviews > Trespass: Living at the Edge of the Promised Land

Trespass by Amy Irvine

Jun 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: essays, travel

A study of the landscape, the fauna, and the human society of Deseret, the Mormon 'dominion' of southeastern Utah. Irvine is a descendant of the most badass of early Mormon settlers and elders, Howard Egan; she delves deep into Mormom history in this place. She's just as fascinated by the Native American culture -- Utes and Paiutes -- and talks about wanton destruction of artifacts.

She is what her neighbors call a Tree Hugger, living with a conservationist attorney, so it's bold of her to move into rural San Juan county where her neighbors are for any kind of development whatsoever and are addicted to subsidized cattle ranching. They socialize, but it's hard to tell what her footing was in these places. IN her retelling of conversations and confrontations, she comes across as strident, as does her partner. If this was supposed to be some sort of reconciliation journey, I'd say it didn't happen.

I liked the essay parts on weather, red rocks, cattle and soil, details about Mormonism. Learned that 'Jack Mormon' is similar to 'lapsed Catholic'.

I didn't enjoy the relationship parts of the story. Too much drama with Herb; I suspect our author is high maintenance.

A good read about the desert wilderness and the perils it faces.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trespass.

June 7, 2012 – Started Reading