Ben Zornes's Reviews > Belichick: The Making of the Greatest Football Coach of All Time

Belichick by Ian O'Connor

it was ok
bookshelves: biography, book-candy
Read 2 times

Ok, ok...I got curious. I am decidedly not a Pats fan. But success is intriguing, and I wanted to see what sort of leader the most successful coach in NFL history was.
In short, there aren't a lot of takeaways in this book, as Belichick notoriously holds his cards close. This biography is largely what others have to say about him. He is ruthlessly focused. He is surprisingly generous. He is shameless in gaming the rules. He is great at taking responsibility for team failures. He is willing to listen to any idea which legitimately gives his team an edge.
In other words, he knows what his job is, and he has devoted himself to getting that job done and setting an example to his team to be that devoted. The most interesting tidbit is when O'Conner makes a clear case that Belichick was ready to move on from Brady quite a while ago...so the 2020 season will be a wish come true for ol' Bill.
The writing style was a bit too scattered/disorganized for enjoyable reading. The "episodes" often felt out of order, or told in a clunky way. But fans of football will quite enjoy a more "inside" look at the most hated (or if you're from Boston, beloved) coach of all time, largely because he is the most victorious football coach of all time. I guess the main thing to takeaway is that it ain't easy being the best.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belichick.

Finished Reading