Ashlee » libraryinthecountry's Reviews > A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire

A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire by Jennifer L. Armentrout

"I took her, and I kept her ..."

This book was everything I could have hoped for and ... more, more, more.

There are few things that compare to reading the sequel of a book you adore and realizing that sequel is even better. And if there’s one sequel that fits this distinction, it’s this one. In fact, From Blood and Ash was my favorite book of the year at the time and well ... this book has stolen that title and is now crowned champion.

Everything I loved about the first book: the action, THE ROMANCE, the banter, the mythology, the tension, has been turned up tenfold and let’s just say Jennifer L. Armentrout nails it.

A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire picks up right where From Blood and Ash left off and we are immediately dropped back into the action. Certainly, the first book gives us revelation after revelation during the last quarter or so and left us all reeling with questions and just an innate drive for MORE.

Many of those questions and speculations are answered (albeit, some lead to more questions) and we get to do more traveling in this one and learn more about the world of the Atlantians, especially. There’s a number of fascinating new characters introduced and familiar ones (Kieran is a smol cinnamon roll, prove me wrong) that we learn more about, too.

Poppy must navigate this new world and choose who to believe while she grapples with her own desire, the changing of her gift and determining who she can trust.

"How can anyone really believe us when I asked if you were out of your mind just a few nights ago?"
"A lot can happen in a few nights, Poppy. Especially with me."
"Your arrogance never ceases to amaze me."

If you’re like me and your favorite aspect of the first book was the romance ... well buckle up folks because the romance in this book is fun, flirty and just overall incredible. I can’t say much here without giving spoilers (especially to those who haven’t read the first book) but let’s just say it was my favorite part in this one too. Super steamy, super angsty and definitely a driving force in the plot. The flirty, teasing vibe and depth of it reminded me of Sarah J. Maas’ A Court of Mist and Fury and I think that’s a fair comparison. In fact, I loved the romance in this book even more than ACOMAF (shocking, I know). Perhaps that’s because there’s more of it, it’s more mature and it’s addressed more but I just loved every little bit of it.

And speaking of loving something ... UGH THE BANTER IS SO GOOD. For real, I have always loved the banter in JLA’s books but it really hit the mark here. It’s funny, witty, flirty at times and I just pulled off really well. The timing, the natural discourse, it all works really well.

"Dear gods, you have her on her own horse? Soon, she'll be running one of us over instead of stabbing us."

I loved any time Kieran was in a scene because I knew I’d be laughing or smirking at something he says. Seriously, Kieran guys ... he is a whole snack. I loved his character so much and I am glad we got to learn more about him. His teasing of Poppy and interactions with her and Casteel were great. I could read a whole book about Kieran and be happy as a clam (*begs, please*). If you love side characters that will steal your heart, Kieran is your guy.

Like the first book, this one ends with a shocking revelation that will leave your head spinning! Again, many questions are answered but we are also left with a few bigger ones. There’s always something more to discover and I love that I never once felt like I knew everything. The tension is intense and really well done throughout!

Needless to say, I really feel as though this book is the perfect follow up to From Blood and Ash. If you loved the first book, I think you’ll be more than pleased with this one. Definitely my favorite read of the year and one of my top books of all time, I’d be shocked if something could dethrone it.

Read blog tour review on my blog, Library in the Country, here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire.

July 13, 2020 – Shelved
July 13, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
August 8, 2020 – Started Reading
August 8, 2020 –
3.0% "Castel: instant big dick energy and we’re not even to chapter two"
August 9, 2020 –
16.0% "The thing I’ve always loved most about Jennifer’s writing is that it’s always so witty and clever and her humor always makes me smirk because it hits at the right spot.

This book is no different, of course."
August 9, 2020 –
19.0% "Hahahaha. Kieran dropping bombs and Poppy’s mortification are so pure. I love when these two interact."
August 9, 2020 –
21.0% "This book already has my whole heart."
August 10, 2020 –
47.0% "Excuse me while I make heart eyes at Kieran"
August 10, 2020 –
54.0% "Dropping bombs like the Suriel. 🔥"
August 11, 2020 –
82.0% "I’ve been holding off on reading this all day because well ... it’s so good and I don’t want it to end. 😭 But also, I can’t stay away from Kieran and Casteel any longer. Gimme the stabbiness and the banter."
August 12, 2020 – Finished Reading