thebloggerandthegeek's Reviews > Guardian

Guardian by Claire Cullen

did not like it

What did I just read!? Claire Cullen is a hit or miss for me, I loved her Siren Coven series, enjoyed River Den Omegas, liked The Lost Pack, and did NOT liked her Briar Wood Pack. So, is been a rollercoaster for me when it comes to Ms. Cullen.

This book had no essence, it was plain and lifeless. We have Hawk who is handsome and noble but we don't get much of his background - except how he grew up understood by his grandfather and misunderstood by his father. He was part of the military and was hurt - but we don't get more than that. He presents himself as cold on some occasions, understanding in others but I didn't see love being expressed from him.

Jesse has no backbone, is submissive and quiet with a past of verbal abuse and sold by his father. He displays an attraction to Hawk but is not something believable - mostly is convenience and physical attraction at a level.

The relationship was very plain, no real passion or love - I just read is as 'hey you're an alpha and I'm an omega in heat, let's jump on the bed.' Besides that, the whole heat was very lame, and then when Jesse is obviously pregnant a month later, Hawk is like 'well is definitely someone else's baby, no way is mine, look at the belly' like no one here has heard of twins or multiple babies.

There is also the introduction of characters from The Lost Pack, now, you don't need to read The Lost Pack but is based on the same universe. The Lost Pack has so many characters than even I who read it a few months ago (if I remember correctly) was completely lost when all these characters were re-introduced.

I would have loved to see more of Hawk and Jesse's relationship. Most of the time Jesse was so awkward, naive and didn't understand things, he was more lost during the whole book than really connecting with someone such as Hawk. The story felt very flat in everything, there was so action, no plot twist, no bad guys - NOTHING besides a boy trying to understand why his belly was so big, a man who didn't know shit, a brother who wasn't even invested in his role, and everything in between.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian.

July 12, 2020 – Started Reading