Laura's Reviews > Flowertown

Flowertown by S.G. Redling

Jun 07, 2012

bookshelves: suspense, sci-fi, dystopian
Read from October 15 to 16, 2013

For more reviews check out my blog: http://ageekybookworm.tumblr.com/

Let me say this...I am NOT a fan of conspiracy theory stories. However this story is bringing me over as a fan. Well this and Gregg Hurowitz. This is a debut novel about a town under quarantine from a chemical spill, that's been this way for 6 years. The main character, Ellie, is not overly likable (which is actually points from me, I like not entirely likable characters), she's given up on life after the raw deal handed her and barely checks in on her day to day life. She spends her days, working as little as possible, getting stoned with her friend, and having sex with another soldier there to keep law and order. Soon things start happening though and she has to pay attention. Will there be a revolution, and if there is, what will happen. The action picks up quickly and makes for an interesting story. In fact I listened to the audio book at home (which I rarely do, saving it for work days) because I couldn't wait to finish it. And an excellent twist in the ending that had me going back to re-listen to the story. This also points to a really great narrator, which is equally important for a good story. Another reviewer had mentioned the open ending as a detractor. It does have an open ending on one point, and I like that. I don't believe it paves the way for a sequel but its still satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowertown.

06/08/2012 page 140