Mark Lawrence's Reviews > The Complete Calvin and Hobbes

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson

Jun 07, 2012

I bought this set for my boys a few Christmasses back - but really I bought it for me.

I've read the entire thing a few pages at a time over the course of a some months and I was sad to come to the last wonderfully bound hard cover.

Although I was sad to reach the end I also applaud Bill Watterson for knowing the power in ending something. He quit while he was ahead and left us something golden. It would lessen the work if he had carried on past the point the fire left him, repeating old themes too many times, and forcing us to watch as the life leached out of these beloved characters - perhaps even passing the torch on to contracted writers to continue milking the cash cow ad infinitum. But he didn't. Thanks Bill.

Calvin and Hobbs captures a type of magic. The humour dances between many levels, brilliant visual comedy, erudite observation, poignant insight, laugh out loud slap-stick, and just damn feel-good stuff that touches everyone who has really lived.

I fell into Calvin and Hobbes' world in my 30s and intend to keep dipping back in every time life gets me down.

Go try it.

Join my 3-emails-a-year newsletter #prizes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Calvin and Hobbes.

Finished Reading
June 7, 2012 – Shelved

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob Milne Calvin and Hobbes is an absolute classic. I'd like to think there could have been a few more years of magic left, but I applaud Watterson for choosing to end on a high note.

I've been reliving the magic one strip at a time with the Daily Calvin & Hobbes on Facebook, and the simple joy of reading their adventures every morning is just as strong as it ever was.

Relstuart I have this set too. Great stuff. :)

message 3: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Vosper One of the greatest comic strip serials ever. Have all the original collections, well read and loved. Passed them on to my son's who read them over and over again.

Stefan Fergus Love C&H. Best comic strip ever

message 5: by Derek (new)

Derek Weese I wish they still made this.

David Awesome comic. Calvin and Hobbes quotes should be set to internet meme against a background of the sun

Relstuart Both the content and the product here at top notch. Love the depth in the humor. I can't help but dream the author would write some more strips for us but I respect the decision to stop on top.

Mark. I guess this means you feel you haven't reached the top of what you can give us?

message 8: by Miles (new)

Miles Reid-lobatto It's been so long since I read Calvin and Hobbes.

message 9: by mike (new)

mike hi mark lawrence i was wonderin what made you choose to end emporer of thorns the way you did?

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark I read the strip from early childhood to it's end. My son read one of the old books I've had laying around and has become hooked. I've wanted this collection for ages.

Nadine Calvin made me want to have kids :)

message 12: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Wanstall-Burke My C&H books are so well loved from my teen years they have been retired to a storage box! They are my all time favourite and the only comic I enjoyed without fail. Calvin is a glorious shit head of a kid - love him!

message 13: by James 'Eagle' (new)

James 'Eagle' Calvin & Hobbes has never failed to fill me with joy.

Peter Calvin and Hobbes is the best!

message 15: by Poul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Poul For fantastic fan homeage google for Calvin and Bacon

message 16: by Alan (new) - added it

Alan Saw a shirt today that said (to the general idea of) "fortunate are my children, for they shall inherit the books."

message 17: by Kay (new)

Kay Camden Makes me want to go through my boxes of childhood stuff in my basement to get my old Calvin and Hobbes books out and give to my boys. I don't remember how old I was when I read them. Can anyone put a ballpark minimum age on it? I don't want to introduce them too young. Too much would be lost on them.

message 18: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Lawrence Kay wrote: "Makes me want to go through my boxes of childhood stuff in my basement to get my old Calvin and Hobbes books out and give to my boys. I don't remember how old I was when I read them. Can anyone put..."

Very hard to say since there's more to get out of many of them as you get older and start to appreciate the parents' and teacher side of things. But I'm pretty sure my kids loved them from around 8 onwards.

Arjun Iyer My mother bought this for me for my birthday, and although my father almost had a hernia lugging it around while traveling, it was the best thing a Bibliophile could ask for. (At the time...obviously my appetite for receiving books has never dulled)

message 20: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn West I was at Uni first year so 1988-89 was definitely a time I read these. I had a friend who I drew Calvin for but with his quotes. We all loved them!

message 21: by Doan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Doan That was a beautiful review.

message 22: by Dean (new) - added it

Dean I too was in my 30's when I discovered Calvin & Hobbes world, but discovered age is no barrier to entry. Makes me smile just thinking of them.

message 23: by Tim (new)

Tim Watterson really liked Cul de Sac by Richard Thompson. You might want to try that if you haven't already seen it : https://richardspooralmanac.blogspot....