Saphirablue's Reviews > The Silver Pigs: A Marcus Didius Falco Mystery

Jun 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historical, hurt-comfort, in-english, private-eye, read-in-2012
Read on August 08, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Well, my first second historical novel and I kind of liked it.

The plot is your typical 'private eye investigates something' plot only set in Rom, 70 AD, which held its own challenges for said private eye informer. It's been entertaining and while I didn't guess all the people involved, there wasn't a huge surprise either.

I liked the setting in Rome with all the hardship and advantages of that time. It's nice to refresh what I've learned in history in school or learn things that I didn't know about without having the feeling that I learn something or get forcefeed a lesson in history. The only thing - I had sometimes trouble to keep up with the names because they are not familar ('Duh, novel set in ancient Rome!) and everybody had so many and depending on the social status/relationship between two "talkers" different names were used.

I liked the 1st person POV of Falco very much and his humor/sarcasm/irony is awesome! There were some scenes in which I had to laugh out loud.

I liked Falco very much and his family and friends and acquaintances are great too. I love to read more about them.

I liked that Falco isn't the perfect hero, that he made/makes mistakes, that he has a past with some not so awesome things and despite everything what he's grousing about - he loves his family and friends dearly.

There was some really good whump in here - f.e. Falco has to go undercover as a slave in a mine (Hello, buttons!!!!!) and when he gets finally rescued he is in a bad way. Also, the scene when he is strapped down while the doctor checks/sets his leg? I flashed on "The Eagle of the Ninth" and saw Marcus (and Esca) instead of Falco. *facepalm*

The one thing I didn't like? This is so very *me* - the lovestory between Helena and Falco. I'd rather have that they stayed friends instead of having this ~tragic lovestory now. :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Pigs.