Emily May's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4622890
's review
Jun 06, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: classics, sci-fi, 2012

Wow, the anger over this rating! My first post for this book was a quote and a gif of Dean from Supernatural rolling his eyes and passing out. And people were pissed. How dare I?

Lol. I'm honestly just so tired of all the dumb comments demanding that I (all caps) "ELABORATE". It's been going on for SIX YEARS now. So I will: This is still one of the most boring emotionless books I have ever read. It seemed like a natural choice after I loved Orwell and Atwood but, my god, Huxley is a dry, dull writer.

Another reviewer called this book a "sleeping pill" and that is a fantastic description. After all the hullabaloo with my original post, I borrowed Brave New World from my local library with the intention of reading it again to give a more detailed review for those freaking out in the comments. And I returned it after suffering through only a few pages. A few years later I got the ebook, thinking I would eventually make it through somehow. But I haven't. It's so mind-numbingly dull. I don't want to do it to myself. The Globalization of World Politics was more enjoyable than this book.
276 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.
Sign In »

Comments (showing 1-50 of 106) (106 new)


message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Oh, God, this book.

[image error]

Don't you just wish he hadn't skimped on the details?


message 2: by Clouds (new) - added it

Clouds It's on my long list.
I get the feeling it's one of those classics you just have to grit your teeth, endure, and hope it will seem worth it looking back...


message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Ahahahahah! The first part of the book was indeed completely boooring. I decided to quit as well :P


Neal LOL!!! Yeah, I struggled through the first part as well.


message 5: by Temi (new) - added it

Temi Abimbola Well I guess if you were or are a biology student, you'd find it less boring and more illustrative :) so i guess the book is not for everyone, but i'll still attempt to read it.


Manaar Zaki I very much agree with you. This book sucks and the only reason I'm reading this is cause I have a test over it tomorrow


Emily May Oh, that sucks :( Good luck with your test!


Manaar Zaki Yup and thanks


Cristian Morales It's a great book, but I do admit to chapter 1 being a bit gratuitous. But you should've at least read a couple more chapters before declaring this book bad. The point of explaining the decanting of embryos is to set up a premiss of the destruction of families.


Emily May Huh? I read about two thirds of the book. I never leave a rating if I haven't made it through at least half of it.


message 11: by Tarun (new) - added it

Tarun But she was simply expressing her opinion.


Emily May No, she wasn't. She was insulting someone else because they'd spoken negatively about a book she liked.


message 13: by Esme (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esme Though I disagree about the book being boring, this is hilarious! :')


Emily May Haha, thanks :) Glad you enjoyed it more!


Tanya The book is great. And I cannot relate to the expression of Dean Winchester at your gif - he would definitely like the book ;)


Matthew Turner Haha! I gotta say, I struggled through major sections of this book (Chapter 3? WTF?) --- but I loved the lab sections! I'm a scientist so... each to their own :)


Victoria Horochowski I hated this book so hard.


Violette I get your point, I snored my way through the beginning, but you should have continued reeding, it's worth it:)


message 19: by Emily May (last edited May 18, 2014 07:46AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Emily May Maybe someday :)


message 20: by Kiki (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kiki Seong you have to understand it inorder to feel it.


Emily May Which part didn't you understand?


message 22: by Patrick (new)

Patrick This is priceless xD


message 23: by Kiki (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kiki Seong Emily May wrote: "Which part didn't you understand?"

:D Hi Emily,
I was meaning, I do try to connect with the text therefore, the so called, "boring" parts are quite exhilerating for me.

Sincerley,
June


Nicole lol; I loved this book and it super hurts when other people don't connect the same way, but I totally get it. I feel like there are 'classic'(/neo-classic?) dystopian 'camps' like BNW, 1984, Handmaid's Tale, etc and people who super connect with one, tend not to be as keen on the others for whatever reason. It seems to be a trend anyway? Like I really did not at all care for The Handmaid's Tale (and have made my rants) while I looooved this book to bits, but I often find that people who love one dislike the other...and it's a 50/50 chance whether you'll like BNW *and* 1984 or choose a side? hah
Anyway, it does hurt my little BNW-fan soul, but I guess you just weren't feelin' it.....*sheds a tear for this sweet book* lol


Laura Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I did struggle with just about every chapter but, I appreciate the age of this book the way the people spoke was difficult to relate that & some of the words were British English while I'm use to American English. I kept a dictionary nearby too my vocab. isn't that strong but I wanted to stick it out & read this classic. For example describing female characters as pneumatic; still not sure what his meaning was they talked a lot, or casually describing they sexuality or something totally different.
I like to read the dystopias because well hasn't everyone had an idea of how they think world problems would be solved and could find world peace. Well an author is one who actually plans it all out and finds the pros & cons of there idea. Mostly, regular folks say a couple of sentences & sigh with displeasure knowing they won't actually do anything about it. Making the world a better place.
Anyhow, I thought his ideas were simple and explainable. Never having been to Iceland, I would have liked to go based on the book premise. However, I was totally peeved by the the end I was very disappointed with the fact that Mustafa didn't let John leave the with Bernard & Helmholtz or even just send him back to the Res. It just seemed like Aldous just wanted the story to end a particular way. I thought the story is plausible; and it might actually work. I'll take exile while some would be content with soma. The end though was just ridiculous. I just have more faith in humanity I guess. While John's view of the world was stunted due to lack of exposure to the BNW, his character earlier in the book seemed a bit more matured by experience, spiritual significant & hello survival. I liked the book up to the last chapter. I have yet to read the follow up book to BNW. I read something about how AH wished he changed the ending but, I don't know if I will take the time to search out the book. The upside of not liking the end was thinking about how I would have made different choices if I found myself confronted with a Brave New World.


message 26: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Marsbergen Fantastic book. Rereading it now and it's even better than the first time.


message 27: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily I agree so much with your gif. I just have to skim that kind of stuff in the book, because it goes right over my head and makes my brain hurt anyways. It takes forever just to make it past chapter 1, because I just wanted to fall asleep during it. But after that I thought that it picks up pretty well. I do love your gif though. :)


Emily May Haha, thanks :)


Alanna I'm a Biologist so the science-y parts didn't phase me, but I agree with this gif. I love The Handmaid's Tale and 1984 but unfortunately I couldn't help but be disappointed with this book :(


Katherine Burgess That's how I felt about the first few chapters, too. But did you even read the rest of it or did you give up and post a worthless review?


Emily May Katherine wrote: "That's how I felt about the first few chapters, too. But did you even read the rest of it or did you give up and post a worthless review?"

If you'd even bothered to read the above discussion, you'd know I read two thirds of the book. Unfortunately, you were too busy leaving worthless comments.


Katherine Burgess Emily May wrote: "If you'd even bothered to read the above discussion, you'd know I read two thirds of the book. Unfortunately, you were too busy leaving worthless comments."

That's so sad! The last third was the best part! If anything, you could go back and read chapters 16-17, or just 17. That's where Huxley makes the boring stuff more interesting.


message 33: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire I can totally understand what you are saying about it being boring, but i sorta wish that you wrote out more about this book.... I mean, a book is boring, so you give it one star? I'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just a little disappointed.


message 34: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle A book is only as boring as its reader makes it!


Natalie Finally someone who doesn't love this book I couldn't stand it Argh!


message 36: by Sarah Lea (new)

Sarah Lea Stories If he'd just written it in a different way.


Mandywill I laughed out loud at this.. Very funny. I struggled with the first chapter but stuck with it, reading bits I didn't grasp over and I'm actually liking it. It's been a while feeling like I've achieved something while reading instead of consuming and I like that feeling! But yes, love this visual joke!


Matthew Turner Kyle wrote: "A book is only as boring as its reader makes it!"

By that logic, boredom as a construct doesn't exist.

Me: I got so bored staring at that blank wall for 17 hours.
Kyle: That wall is only as boring as you make it!
Me: Thanks Kyle. That wall is super interesting to me now.


message 39: by Kyle (last edited Feb 24, 2015 08:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle Matthew wrote: "Kyle wrote: "A book is only as boring as its reader makes it!"

By that logic, boredom as a construct doesn't exist.

Me: I got so bored staring at that blank wall for 17 hours.
Kyle: That wall is..."


Quite the opposite actually. You seem to be misreading the logic. Saying that something is only as boring as one makes it is actually reinforcing boredom as a construct, as you call it, by saying that that person actually ends up creating (or constructing) the very concept of "boredom" in a certain time and place through their own subjective experience. A blank wall that you may view as boring an artist may view as a foundation for his next masterpiece, or a homeless man/woman may view as an invaluable bit of protection from a harsh wind. It wasn't boring until someone came along and actually constructed that view for his/herself.

Regardless of all this hullabaloo, I found Brave New World to be a very enriching read. The parallels that can be drawn to modern society make for an incredibly interesting discussion. Some people don't find it that interesting, and that's ok.


message 40: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Folded Between the Pages of Books Oh adorable Dean! <3

My trick to getting through boring books like this is to listen on audiobook. That way I can space out during the more boring bits. I spaced out through most of Walden, just paying attention enough to make sure that nothing interesting happened. (spoiler alert - it didn't!)


message 41: by Kevin (new)

Kevin haha love your way of reviewing! With just a quote you can really tell whether it's for you or not.


message 42: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Now, I actually loved the first chapter. Not that I'm in biology or anything, but I looked at it more as an illustration of how impersonal and "technical" the society was--and how everyone accepted and even exulted in that fact. I also really loved chapter three because I felt that all the jumping about almost illustrated the insanity that is human society itself--it, in a sense, put the reader in the Savage's shoes so that they can understand and sympathize with him later.

I guess that Huxley could have just stated, "Society was really impersonal and everything was crazy," but that would simply be telling rather than showing.

At the same time, I can absolutely see where you're coming from and I accept your opinion. It's just really awesome and interesting looking through the reviews and seeing everybody's takes on it!


Emily May Ryan wrote: "Now, I actually loved the first chapter. Not that I'm in biology or anything, but I looked at it more as an illustration of how impersonal and "technical" the society was--and how everyone accepte..."

Thanks for your comment, Ryan. I'm glad you enjoyed it more! It's so annoying when I can't get into a really popular classic but Huxley's style was so dry to me. Though I can see what you mean about that maybe being his intention.


Timothy Hicks That's typically how I feel about a lot of dystopian fiction. The concepts and ideas are so intriguing... but somewhat fall short in the writing department. That being said, if you're willing to trudge through the blander details, you'll find some really excellent tidbits, and it'll make your mind really wander about "happiness" and whether or not it's always a good thing... I gave the book four stars, but only because I was willing to look past the somewhat sub-par writing, and look at the bigger picture. I understand your low rating, too,
however....


Jennie I loved Brave New World because I think it's so true to our society. Younger generations are overtly sexualized yet emotions are embarrassing and considered taboo depending on the relationship. This book has moments of scientific jargon however I found that as a whole the work is overwhelmingly profound and ahead of its time. The ending is powerful.

I try to finish every book no matter how much I hate it. And believe me I've had some bad ones including Robinson Crusoe and The Art of Secrets! Haha. No matter how many people tell me that's a classic or it's worth the read I think it's a waste of paper. However, with a few books - not all, although I may not appreciate the book at the time but looking back and considering the real world applications of the texts, I can appreciate the story.


Emily May Kenneth wrote: "This review actually made me laugh out loud. Lol. But I think one of the other commenters Ryan explained perfectly Huxley's reasoning for droning on in such a technical/boring fashion. This is what..."

I'm sure that's true. I also don't doubt that Huxley was extremely talented, but unfortunately this book wasn't for me :)


message 47: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy I listened to this as an Audiobook read by Michael York. Seeing that paragraph written down I can really understand the tedium, but *spoken* it's something else entirely. In exactly the right tone, it's captivating. If anyone really needs to read the book for school, I suggest the Michael York Recording.


message 48: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison Taylor Oh Gosh. This made me laugh. I had the same reaction to the beginning of the book but then it grew on me.


message 49: by ironicinori (new) - added it

ironicinori I enjoy your reviews and usually agree with you. This sounds like you're basically saying "BNW bored me to death, didn't finish it, so by default it's 1 star". (it's all just opinion anyway)

By the same logic, being overly detailed to the point of boring, for a LOT of people, Moby Dick gets 1 star. Game of Thrones gets 1 star. Lord of The Rings gets 1 star. The Bible gets 1 star. Hope you're all still following. I'm all for the reviewer's opinion and rating. I'm saying that a lot of people following the same process wouldn't make it through those classics.

What's not cool is the response of a lot of you kiddos saying "you're right this book sucks" and "it's TERRIBLE". If you can force yourself through Brave New World it is possibly the most important novel of the 21st century. It basically predicted our fucked up culture where Instagram and Tinder profiles are more important than philosophy, economics, etc. Where 50 Shades of Grey is a more important novel than Brave New World.

Anyway I'm not here to write a review. Just... if you really hated this book, at least be like Emily May and admit it was because you got bored and didn't get into it. Please don't trash the book as being bad, or discourage other people from reading such an important novel. Doing so is fulfilling Aldous Huxley's prophecy. Just move along and wait for the next YA love triangle.


Emily May ironicinori wrote: "I enjoy your reviews and usually agree with you. This sounds like you're basically saying "BNW bored me to death, didn't finish it, so by default it's 1 star". (it's all just opinion anyway)

By th..."


I definitely wouldn't say this book is "bad" - whatever that would objectively mean anyway - just, as you say, boring. Though I think I hold different books up to different standards. This is a sci-fi dystopian novel and, for me, I would expect that to be more compelling. Consider that I breezed through War and Peace, and even managed to finish Proust, and this was way harder to get through than either.

Funnily, though, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones (the books), and the Bible all do get 1 star from me. I gave Moby Dick 3 stars, but that might have been a generous mood.

You seem like a logical, fair-minded person, but please don't be one of those who falls into the trap of assuming that others who don't like a single classic - e.g. BNW - are uncultured, lacking in intelligence, and incapable of appreciating classics. It does not make someone only worthy of Twilight novels just because they didn't like BNW.


« previous 1 3
back to top