Ivonne Rovira's Reviews > A Rule Against Murder

A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

Jun 06, 2012

Read in March, 2010

I've been hooked on Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series since I read her debut novel, Still Life. Yet, as great as the novels have been, A Rule Against Murder still somehow manages to top all of the previous ones.

As ever, Penny plots out an interesting murder mystery that keeps you guessing until the end. However, what truly will delight the reader are the secrets revealed about Peter Morrow's well-to-do family and one about Armand Gamache himself. The theme of when to remember -- and when to forget -- the past proves fascinating.

I'm looking forward to reading the fifth book in this series, The Brutal Telling. But not yet. I want to savor this one just a little bit longer. After all, how could even the talented Ms. Penny improve on A Rule Against Murder?

One side note: The lovely resort in the novel, Manoir Bellechasse, is loosely based on the Manoir Hovey, a favorite with Louise Penny. With this novel, Manoir Hovey should prepare itself for an influx of guests who've read about the fictional Manoir Bellechasse and want to experience the real one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rule Against Murder.

04/18/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Ruffner I have read all the Three Pines mysteries and this is my favorite. I recommend to all my friends who love a good mystery to grab one Louise Penny's books and enjoy.

Ivonne Rovira Debbie wrote: "I have read all the Three Pines mysteries and this is my favorite. I recommend to all my friends who love a good mystery to grab one Louise Penny's books and enjoy."

Do you agree that it's best to read these mysteries in order? They're good singly, but they're excellent when you read them in order and have access to all of the back story.

message 3: by S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S. Davis Great review!! I'm looking forward to this one more now. The last one was not as compelling as the first two. But I did enjoy the furthering of the subplot Arneau/Gamache controversy.

Ivonne Rovira Shanah wrote: "Great review!! I'm looking forward to this one more now. The last one was not as compelling as the first two. But I did enjoy the furthering of the subplot Arneau/Gamache controversy."

This one is sooooo good! It made me want to visit Manoir Hovey, although, realistically, I know I never shall. I read the Three Pines books as soon as they're released and can't wait for the next one!

Jacque Thanks for letting us know about the Manoir Hovey. It sounds like my kind of place.

Marty It was very interesting how she brought in the story of Rodin's sculpture The Burghers of Calais and the history behind it. I think Still Life and this one are my favorites (I'm only halfway finished this--it's hard to put down)

Ivonne Rovira Marty wrote: "It was very interesting how she brought in the story of Rodin's sculpture The Burghers of Calais and the history behind it. I think Still Life and this one are my favorites (I'm only halfway finis..."

I will reveal something. As good as A Rule Against Murder is, two of the sequels are even better! I know! After A Rule Against Murder, I didn't imagine that there could be better!