Noah Johnson's Reviews > Warrior Rabbi

Warrior Rabbi by David R Gross

Read 3 times

Expertly researched, beautifully told, compelling to the last page.

I don't quite know how to begin to describe my feelings after completing this book. During the course of reading it, I savored each page for the subtleties of the descriptions and the masterful capturing of emotions. I read slowly. I reflected. I let the descriptions and the nuanced thinking seep in slowly to my being and my understanding. Yes, I pondered my own meaning of culture and family in every sense-physical, spiritual and emotional. I appreciated the thoughts that this book generated. Interestingly, perhaps because of the methodical way I read, I eagerly returned to this book late each night not because of action, but rather because of the insights I might gain and the creative, new way of lyrical expression of some profound thoughts.

This book was extraordinarily well written. The prose was beautiful, not falling into the choppy, almost stream of consciousness that other first person narrative works seem to take. The characters were well developed, their flaws very real and understandable.

In sum, this was my first historical fiction book and I have to say I am now a fan of the genre. The author is great at fleshing out the characters and sucking you into the story. I heavily recommend this book if it even looks slightly appealing to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warrior Rabbi.

July 9, 2020 – Shelved