Irish Travis's Reviews > Warrior Rabbi

Warrior Rabbi by David R Gross

Read 2 times

I was really impressed by this book and the quality of both the writing and the storytelling. David Gross is a master artist who weaves stories that could grab the reader and transport them to a place and time forgotten.

There are descriptions and metaphors in this novel that are masterful. Here are a few I liked:
“I have not always been faithful to the one with whom you were conceived. Badis gave me a young Jewish maiden whom I loved in a way completely different from the way I loved your mother. For ten years I loved her and then she died from the same pox that took your sister from us. This is a poem I wrote for her:”

"On occasion I will lay my hand gently on her shoulder as a sign of affection when one or more of the children are with us. I want them to understand that I love their mother."
"We passed through alternate heat and cool,
sunlight and shade. Only the sound of our footfalls echoing through the passageways was heard. No other people were seen, no other sounds were heard. I smelled orange blossoms but didn’t see any orange trees. I smelled spices being toasted but no kitchens or workers were visible."

An incredible book. An important book. A book, most definitely, worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warrior Rabbi.

Finished Reading