Linda Martin's Reviews > Your Blue Is Not My Blue: A Missing Person Memoir

Your Blue Is Not My Blue by Aspen Matis

bookshelves: 2020, families, memoirs, new-york, non-fiction

This is a very well-written memoir. The descriptive language was so well-honed it was too much sometimes. There are some fantastic philosophical ideas and yet some passages went too far. Example: "...vulnerability, the heart’s pistil, so often shunned as powdery and weak—frightening and uncomfortable to touch—is the source of regeneration, the productive part of the flower of the soul. The pistil, central and hidden, contains potential kernels of new life’s creation, a fragile stalk arising from the swollen bulb of seeds to a pollen-receptive tip, the stigma, variously shaped as the human spirit itself." It was like, beautiful metaphor, but what did she say in that second sentence? Never mind - it was beautifully said! I had that feeling only a couple times while reading this. For the most part it is beautiful language (only a bit excessive) plus a sad and compelling story of love found/lost and a heart mended.

The memoir is about the author's first marriage to a man she met while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. She loved him intensely and didn't expect him to leave her. When he disappears it is without a word of explanation. She is left wondering if he is alive or dead. That causes her to reflect on all aspects of the relationship, and to come to a realization of the man's shortcomings... how he planned her life for her, encouraged her to ignore her parents, and considered her an investment so he'd never have to work again. I've been through something similar so it was easy for me to identify with her search for answers as daydreams melted into reality... something she could see only from a distance.

I read this book as part of my participation in the 2020 PopSugar Reading Challenge, for prompt #14: A book by an author with flora or fauna in their name.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Blue Is Not My Blue.

July 9, 2020 – Shelved