Sarah Bringhurst's Reviews > The Pregnancy Project

The Pregnancy Project by Gaby Rodriguez

bookshelves: social-commentary, pregnancy-and-birth

This book is a unique memoir of a high-schooler who faked teen pregnancy for her senior project. Gaby Rodriguez is a remarkable woman. Born into a low-income Hispanic family with three generations of unwed pregnancy, she was a high achiever determined to be the first in her family to go to college. So it was a shock to everyone in her school to find out that she was "pregnant." During the course of her project, she experienced societal stereotypes and how they influence the feelings and behavior of unwed mothers. She also gained special empathy for her own mother. When she unveiled the project at the end of the school year, it suddenly became more influential than she ever imagined.

I ended up pretty much convinced of her conclusion that the way we treat pregnant teens has as big of an impact on where they go in life as the pregnancy itself. The perspective she shared about her (wonderfully loyal and long-suffering) boyfriend's experience was also illuminating. As Rodriguez reminds us, empathy can be a powerful force for social change.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pregnancy Project.