Valerie's Reviews > The Stepford Wives

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

F 50x66
Jun 05, 2012

I own a copy

I'm not going to reread this book, though I do own a copy.

I don't think I'm telling tales out of school if I say that I hate and distrust the Disney corporation. The villain of this book is a Disney guy. Maybe they've changed since the days that Walt Disney presided over his corporate sweatshops with an iron fist. But I doubt it. It was pretty much woven into the fabric.

The women in this book are NOT changed, I should point out. They're MURDERED, and replaced with mechanisms. Levin never was one to provide solutions. But there are two possibilities here. One of the victims may have been able to get together enough of a dossier to enable a later chosen victim to escape and to blow the lid off the story. Or one of the mechanisms may rebel. Robots are not able to impersonate real people. This is why the substitutes are (literally) incredible. But they may be able to BECOME real people: and in that case, they may be able to question their programming. What they'd do then is not clear. But there's no doubt it would change the dynamic, if it happened.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stepford Wives.