Kari Anderson's Reviews > Potboiler

Potboiler by Jesse Kellerman

Jun 05, 2012

Read from July 07 to 15, 2012

Arthur Pfefferkorn has always lived in the shadows of his best friend William de Vallèe. Pfefferkorn may have gotten his book published first, but Vallee upped him a little when he became one of the world’s best selling thriller authors. Now Pfefferkorn is a professor, watching his best friend’s books hit the shelves.

When Vallee goes missing at sea, Pfefferkorn puts away his jealousy toward his friend in his back pocket and attends his funeral, not knowing his life is about to change….drastically.

It starts with an evening with Vallee’s wife, who Pfefferkorn loved from the first time they met (before William started dating her of course) then quickly spirals out of his control. Pfefferkorn may or may not take the next bookVallee is working on and put his own name on the cover and he may or may not lose his life over it.

This is a page turning story of life, death and the little decisions that can impact you in life changing ways.

I have heard a lot of great things about Jesse Kellerman and when I was given the opportunity to review his latest book, I pounced on it. I was so drawn to this book because of the whole author aspect. I love books where authors are the main characters. Even though they are fiction, I like to think the author puts a bit of his or herself in the characters. I feel like I learn more about the author through their author characters.

There were parts of this book I loved, like when secrets that Vallee were keeping were revealed and when Pfefforkorn gets thrown into a life he never expected. I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen next. The twists and turns of the plot are unmatched. They may be a little lot far fetched, but it’s fiction and you can do whatever you want! I’m interested to see what his others books are like. I am reading other reviews and seeing this isn’t his normal style.

But there were also parts that seemed to drag along for me. These included bits and pieces about government and history. Granted these weren’t completely overwhelming, but I think when I hit them, they felt like I was never going to get past them.

I give Potboiler 4 of 5 bookmarks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Potboiler.

07/09/2012 page 76
23.0% "All I can say is Arthur is asking for it!!"