Warwick's Reviews > The Mongoliad: Book One

The Mongoliad by Neal Stephenson

Jun 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

I won't touch sword and sorcery fantasy fiction with a long stick but I occasionally find myself reading stuff that is right alongside it, to the point that you non-genre folks probably think it is splitting hairs to separate them.
This is an historical fiction, very “boys own” charting multiple storylines as they converge on something around the repulsion/retreat from eastern Europe of the third Mongol Khan.
There is rag tag knights and Mongol warriors and secret crusaders and all that guff. But it is fun and historically well informed though not as well as Stephenson’s System of the World series.

What is of particular interest (or, perhaps, cringe-worthiness) is that this was written by a group of writers of varying levels of professionalism as an experiment in serialization (they released it through a website over time) and is really an adjunct to the hobby that brought them together, which they constantly refer to as “western martial arts” by which they essentially mean sword-fighting, it is more nuanced than that but it is not my flavour of nerd so I won’t defend it.

Fun historical sword-fights and what not. Not a must read by any stretch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mongoliad.