Victoria's Reviews > These Things Hidden

Jun 05, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: family, lit-fic
Read on June 05, 2012 — I own a copy

After finding Gudenkauf’s first novel nearly impossible to put down, her second novel has been on my to-read list since it was released. The strength of her debut caused me to have some high hopes for this book. Unfortunately, the book really did not meet my expectations. Despite the fast pacing, the book’s plot held few surprises. Overall, it was simply too predictable to be a gripping story and altogether too depressing in subject matter to be remotely enjoyable to read.

None of the biological parents come off well here (and Gudenkauf offered several, some single parents, some not) - though there are varying degrees to the horrible jobs that they all do. And really some insufficient motivations were offered as to why these parents behaved in the almost nonsensically cruel way that they did. After having such high hopes, this book really disappointed me. As I finished it, I kept wishing that I had set it aside much earlier, because it never became any better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Things Hidden.