Alyssa's Reviews > Of Poseidon

Jun 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: pnr-merpeople, young-adult, romance
Read from June 05 to 06, 2012

After reading Stephanie's review of this book, I had been hesitant to read it. While I love mermaids, I cringe at possessive and controlling male characters, dumb heroines, and anti-feminism. I'm relatively sick of seeing these themes in YA literature again and again. I'm further disgusted by the fact some women find these themes amazing or admirable.

Despite the warnings, I decided to read Of Poseidon, mostly because I love mermaids, and there's not too many good decent mermaid books out there. Because of the warnings, I went in with low expectations for the novel.

Fortunately, I was able to excuse the issue of women's rights that popped up in regards to Syrena (merpeople) culture. I was able to excuse this because they are a different species, and therefore entitled to their own culture. I didn't see the lack of women's rights being imposed on the main character, Emma, as much as it was on Galen's sister Rayna. Rayna had proclaimed a desire to never mate, but her childhood friend Toraf had them mated against her will (without her consent or knowledge, or even presence). Evidently, the Syrena culture has its differences and is extremely patriarchal. While I may have stopped reading if these were humans, I was able to get by and enjoy the story regardless.

Okay, yeah, some things about the book pissed me off, such as how childish Emma really was (doing everything just because Galen told her not to), and how pointless it was to have Chloe, her only friend -- a colored friend at that -- die within the first few chapters. Also, the fact that Emma was able to sleep over at Galen's house right after she actually meets him despite the author's description of Emma's mother as being very strict did not make sense to me.

Regardless of all of my complaints, I found that I didn't hate of Poseidon, but actually enjoyed it to a degree. I might even read the sequel... maybe.

Note: The overused "Ohmysweetgoodness" phrase drove me insane.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Poseidon.