Rachel's Reviews > Inheritance

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

Jun 05, 2012

Read from June 05 to 16, 2012

"Inheritance" is such a big, meaty read that I am finding it hard to write a solid review. In one word, it was EPIC.

There is no dispute that Paolini, like Tolkein (yep, totally grouping them together) is a genius and brilliantly has constructed a high-fantasy land with language, geography and history. That is pretty amazing in itself so hats-off and a thank you to Paolini for writing fantastic books.

I haven't read the other Eargon books for quite a while and there has been scads of books in between, but luckily, I was able to pick up the plot and characters pretty quickly in "Inheritance". The first half of the gigantic book was a little slow for me. The battle scenes were gory and it got old. However, I was sucked right back in with the side story of the courageous Nastuada and Eargon and Saphira's journey of self-discovery. I really enjoyed the book and certainly felt some post-series-end letdown when I finished reading. There were some holes in the plot that it sounded like (from the author's note)that Paolini might tackle in another book. I'm really interested to see what he'll come up with next--a prequel to Eargon all about the Riders is my guess.

My big compliant was the ending between Eargon and Arya is so not what I wanted :( Otherwise, an enjoyable read that transported me into a world far more complex than my own. I found myself wishing for a little magic and my very own dragon.

Thanks Paolini for a great ride!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inheritance.