Edgar's Reviews > Snuff

Snuff by Terry Pratchett

Jun 05, 2012

Read in June, 2012

As with all of Terry Pratchett books, I loved this one. The only weak-spot I could see in this narrative is the social commentary. It is a tad over the top, but a forgivable tad as we see the plight of the Goblins through the quasi-sympathetic eyes of Commander Vimes. Vimes, a practical crusader for equal rights between races in the past- mostly the belief that everyone, no matter what race they may be, are equally guilty of something- becomes the reluctant savior of yet another race. This time its goblins who are being kidnapped and either killed or conscripted into slavery. Pratchett never fails to add some social and racial conflict as a sub-text to his tales, whether it be through the oppression handed down and accepted to some extent by the residents of Discworld or the conflict between social classes of the same races.

We get another look at Vime's constant companion, The Summoning Darkness, who aided him in Koom Valley in 'Thud'. We are still no closer to the true identity of its nature, but subtle hints are helping to bring this non corporeal being into better focus. Make no mistake, this story is about Commander Vimes and his small but potent family. His aristocratic and not quite so naive wife Lady Sybil Ramkin-Vmes and their son young Sam. The peripheral use of some of the usual characters that Pratchett injects into almost all the stories concerning Ank Morpork, are somewhat disappointing, but the story is about the Vimes' and their "vacation" to the countryside. Not to be lacking in allies Vimes continues his policy of deputizing people to uphold what loosely passes as the law. Also missing from the list of usual suspects we find in most of the stories of Discworld is the character of DEATH. Though I'm sure that we haven't heard the last from the robed wonder he isn't quite a present in this story, though the act of dying seems to have not receded any.

Overall, as a Pratchett fanatic I would recommend this one highly. But then again, I recommend all of Pratchett's work highly as the man is clearly a literary genius and should be taught in schools. The imagery is fantastic and the story is fast-paced. Unlike most of the Discworld novels, this one needs at least a casual acquaintanceship with the series. It is not a book to start your Discworld experience with if you are unfamiliar with the dynamic of Commander Vimes and his underlings or his relationship with the Patrician. however, if you are like me and you pride yourself on your knowledge of Discworld and its inhabitants, this one is a must-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snuff.