Angela's Reviews > Living Dead in Dallas

Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

Sep 30, 2008

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, sookie-stackhouse
Read 3 times. Last read September 29, 2008.

Sookie Stackhouse #2, Living Dead in Dallas, is somewhat oddly structured: a main plot with a side plot acting as bookends. Which is a bit weird for me as a reader, since I actually liked the bookend plot better than the main one!

The main plot has Sookie being called upon to head to Dallas along with her vampire lover Bill in order to investigate the disappearance of a vampire there. Here, the points of interest are the introduction of the Fellowship of the Sun as a plot point--and the first rumblings that all may not be cozy between Sookie and Bill as she hopes. The side plot has the lamentably quick death of a character given much more life and interest by the TV show, with so little focus on it and on the sordid secrets of several denizens of Bon Temps that it's difficult to get much emotional investment in that part of the plot.

For me, the real high point of this book is the ramping up of Sookie's interactions with Eric, Bill's superior in the vampire power structure. He's delightfully straightforward in his lust for Sookie, and yet at the same time delightfully devious in how he maneuvers her into getting what he wants. I've always found him a more entertaining character than Bill, and it was fun to go back and re-read this book on the strength of Eric's participation in it alone. Three and a half stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Dead in Dallas.