Megan Franks's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Jun 04, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, american-lit, biography, history

Some books will haunt you. They will constantly swirl around in your head and unexpectedly pop up in everyday conversation. They will change your perspective and your outlook on life. They will challenge you with "what if"s and make you tear up with all the "if only"s.

This is one of those books.

I struggled to read it, yet I could not stop. Surviving over 40 days at sea with no supplies only to be captured and taken to some of the most inhumane POW camps in history? I felt nauseous as I listened to the relentless struggles of these brave men and wondered, "Would I have the determination needed to survive?" It hardly seems possible.

Above all, I love this book because it not only shows the unbelievable capacity for humans to survive against all odds, but the power of God to take the burdens of the bitter and broken and transform them so that they might truly be able to "love their enemies."

Read this book. It will make you thankful for your life, grateful for veterans who have suffered unfathomable things in war, and overwhelmed by the Hope that is for all mankind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.

June 4, 2012 – Shelved