Shannon's Reviews > Sweet Evil

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Jun 04, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, good-idea-bad-execution, angels-and-demons

My opinion of this book is pretty much how I felt about ‘Personal Demons’ by Lisa Desrochers. The idea for the story was actually really good! I liked the set-up of the dukes of sin and the whispers convincing people to do bad things. The main problem I feel was the execution. I might have liked this if a different author had written it. I didn’t hate this book. I was fairly indifferent to it for the most part. I’m not even all that sure why I was unable to connect with the story. I guess that the writing style just didn’t click for me. A huge chunk of the book is spent on semi-boring things. There were so many times where the story skips ahead a month or so and nothing of much importance happens. I don’t get why Anna (view spoiler). It just felt very rushed and forced to me.

One of my biggest complaints is Anna. She was so dramatic and I swear she cried every five seconds. Sometimes it made sense, but most of the time she was crying for no reason. There was one scene where Anna hugged Kopano at the mall and she started crying again. I almost burst out laughing because the description was so over the top and corny to me. I don’t mind a character that shows their emotions, but it becomes a little much when the protagonist is constantly blinking away her tears or feeling moisture building up in her eyes. I only truly liked her when she was out doing her crazy thing at the New Year’s Eve party. But then she had to do something in the last few chapters that made me want to punch her in the face. All she was told to do was (view spoiler). Gahh, it was like, ‘Do you want to die or something?!!’

It was strange because my mind kept going back and forth as to whether I liked Kaiden. One minute I thought he was a tool and the next I thought he wasn’t too bad. In terms of Kopano, I didn’t get the lure at all. He seemed very weird and wooden. I’m not sure what’s going on with him. Anna’s attraction to him seemed to come out of nowhere. It was sort of like he was thrown in there for a love triangle’s sake.

Admittedly, it gets really interesting towards the end. I wish all the boring stuff in the middle had been cut down and there was more stuff like the party and the meeting. If the whole book was more like the last 10%, I might have been more eager to read the sequel. The scene where she’s crying and the rain washes away her tears was a bit overkill and I don’t know if I can take another 540 pages of Anna being mopey, dramatic and sobbing everywhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Evil.

June 4, 2012 – Shelved