Emily's Reviews > Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Jun 04, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary
Read on June 04, 2012

The book is "written by" the main character, as what seems to be a college entrance essay. Greg is supposed to be a high school senior, but he seems much more like an eighth grader, except for all the cussing and slightly more adult themes. Also, he continually says things like "This is a horrible book" or "I don't know why you're reading this barf-fest" and sometimes "You should just stop reading this book." I think it's supposed to be funny, but I'm not really sure because all it made me do was want to stop reading the book. I did finish it, though. I was ready to read a humorous yet heartwarming story. This did not happen. The first twenty pages when we were being given the lowdown on the life of Greg Gaines were hilarious, and there were a few funny instances after that, but not many. Greg is a jerk for the entire book, only caring about himself and now his invisibility is ruined because he had to eat lunch with some dying girl and his life is all messed up because Rachel had the audacity to get a cancer and need a friend. It's not until the last fifteen pages or so that he begins to actually care. If you ignore all of Greg's commentary, you might end up liking this book.

Photobucket"/>

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.

Quotes Emily Liked

Jesse Andrews
“It's like when a kitten tries to bite something to death. The kitten clearly has the cold-blooded murderous instinct of a predator, but at the same time, it's this cute little kitten, and all you want to do is stuff it in a shoebox and shoot a video of it for grandmas to watch on YouTube.”
Jesse Andrews, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl