Casey's Reviews > Wedded to War

3194216
Jun 04, 2012

liked it
Read from July 17 to 22, 2012

I’m a bit of a Civil War junkie. I’ve studied that particular battle for several years in school and love learning more. So when this novel came up for review, nurses on the front lines of the war, I was immediately raising my hand in request.

The research that went into this novel would have been extensive, and I could appreciate the time it must have taken. The novel covers the first two years of the war and its destruction, but also the very strong bias on the part of the needy doctors who weren’t willing to work with women nurses. Charlotte is not your weak heroine and her take-charge, won’t-take-no-for-an-answer made me want to send a “you go, girl!” her way. She did so in a simple, wanting to help way which makes her a very likeable character.

It’s not a romance, but rather a love story and a novel of overcoming and hope for a new future. I’d be interested in knowing if the following novels are sequels which characters that carry over…

This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers through CFBA for my copy to review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wedded to War.

message 1: by Alexia (new)

Alexia I'm interested to see how you like this. Let me know if there is romance in it.

Casey Will do! :)

Katie Wasn't your type of read?

Casey I need to write my review....on one hand, yes I did like it. The history is strongly prevalent through the entire book. I'm a Civil War junkie, so I loved it. On the other side, all the history was the story's downfall, imo. It took over the story and away from it instead of adding to it. My full review should be up tonight. :)

Katie I can see what you mean. I just finished the book tonight. I love reading about this war, so I totally loved all the history. It was kinda nice, imo, to read a book that wasn't solely focused on the romantic aspect. Though Charlotte and Caleb's story was sweet :-)

Casey It was sweet, Katie. I don't disagree, I didn't mind the lack of romance either, but it felt a bit tacked on in place and times.

Cathy Daniel I loved it and its going on my list as my first favorite book of 2014! I don't like books that are strictly romance, it's unrealistic and boring to me so this was perfect and it was an epic novel that ended realistically, true to character and with hope! Perfection!

Casey That's awesome, so glad you liked it Cathy!!

Katie "I actually would have liked to see more of the actual nursing happening in the novel. I thought the opportunity for those scenes of character strength showcased in our heroine’s actions in the wards were missed. The many historical facts were great, but did detract from the main story. I liked seeing the varying aspects of society and people’s choices at their time, I just wished I had seen more of that and their individual stories and not so much historical documentation."
I totally agree with you on all of this! I'm really not liking this book so far.