Debbie's Reviews > Sea Change

Sea Change by Karen   White

Jun 04, 2012

Read in June, 2012 — I own a copy

Some believe that the soul doesn’t die with the body, that it’s often given second chances to right wrongs and fulfill destinies and for Ava Whalen that destiny was Matthew Frazier. From the moment she met him she felt a belonging that had eluded her, her entire life and their courtship as fast as it was felt like coming home, so much so that even to the dismay of her mother she travels from her home in Antioch to Matthew’s centuries old family home on St. Simons Island Georgia. Yet the fulfillment she seeks is still as elusive as ever when she finds out that Matthew is keeping secrets from her, secrets that could kill their burgeoning love, secrets like she’s not the first Mrs. Frazier and that Matthew’s first wife died under suspicious circumstances and Matthew isn’t talking about it. To complicate matters further Ava is having unsettling déjà vu in her new home and new town, disturbing flashes from a past that seems real to her, a past that she feels a certain intimacy with a past that’s full of Frazier family skeletons falling out of more closets than you can imagine. Through it all she’s not only determined to find the truth to some disturbing questions but she also knows one thing with conviction and that is the love she feels for Matthew. Will Ava get the answers that she seeks and will those answers be worth the price she has to pay.
Karen White has never disappointed me and this time she goes above and beyond with her beautiful and ethereal story of love, tragedy and reclamation with her customary Low Country feel. She does it with her unique prose like narrative that took me right into the pages where I could feel the Ocean spray on my face and see the Spanish Moss hanging from the trees and smell the fragrances of the area, where both temporal and otherworldly images filled my mind as I read. Her characters do a brilliant job of telling the tale and there are no minor actors in this play from Ava who’s fragile yet unimaginably strong, Matthew who’s a puzzle from the start all the way down the line. The love story is front and center and is both timeless and ageless and my heart was involved through the entire breathtaking novel.
Ms. White has taken me on some amazing journeys in my years of reading her but this one will stand out as one of the best.
This will appeal to a multitude of readers from the romance lover to the fans of paranormal but especially it will speak to the lover of literary fiction.
Thank you Ms. White for another trip into your fertile imagination and I can’t wait to see where you take me to next.
Please check out this Q&A I did with the author http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Change.