USOM's Reviews > These Violent Delights

These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong

(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

These Violent Delights defies expectations and words. Set in 1926 Shanghai, Chloe Gong's debut is a blood soaked setting full of feuds, betrayal, and Imperialism. I have never loved Romeo & Juliet, but These Violent Delights is now cannon. Featuring emotion fueled scenes of yearning, tension that cuts with dagger edges, and walking that fine balance between betrayal tinged nostalgia, These Violent Delights is a stunning debut. Gong integrates elements from the original, transforming them into angst heavy scenes leaving readers in pieces.

From the beginning, These Violent Delights is captivating. The writing is expressive and gorgeous, weaving you in a web of detailed world building, hidden moments, and layered complexity. While you don't have to have read Romeo & Juliet beforehand, if you do you will be rewarding with an experience where you are constantly shrieking at Gong's masterful re-interpretations. But where These Violent Delights burrowed its way into my heart was the characters.

Juliette is no doubts about it, a major badass. With looks that could wither crops, hidden weapons that you'll never find, and a smile that conceals her true motivations, Juliette is dangerous. She has steel in her bones and fire in her veins. But what I love about her, is that there's also a vulnerability to her, a knowledge that weakness gets you killed. That opening our hearts ends in bloodshed. That dreams cost blood and no one escapes unscathed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Violent Delights.

July 1, 2020 – Started Reading
July 1, 2020 – Shelved
July 7, 2020 –
82.0% "this is exquisite pain"
July 14, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Solace_In_Reading It is soo good!

USOM lives_in_books wrote: "It is soo good!"

IT IS OMG I LOVE IT