Mary (BookHounds)'s Reviews > There Goes the Bride: A Novel

Jun 03, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, from-publisher-author

MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

Bella, a bit overweight, runs a catering company and her lovely, perfect sister, Polly, is set to marry THE perfect guy. Except Polly has commitment issues and even her best friend, gorgeous Grace can't convince her to carry through with the plan. Told in alternating points of view of these three women, it proves the point that you can't know what goes on behind closed doors of seemingly perfect people. Bella and Grace, although not really friendly, try to get Polly to get back with her fiance, Dev, but there is more going on in Polly than either of them could possibly imagine. Grace and Bella also have deeper issues that all come to light as the story continues.

Polly is the center of this story even though she only appears in brief telephone conversations and emails to her therapist. It isn't until the very end where we find out all of her secrets and why she called the wedding off in the first place. The real meat of the story is between Grace and her disaster of a marriage and Bella, who has a life changing event that causes most of Polly's issues. I adored the way these three individuals all connected and came together at the end.

I have dying for a book like this since it seems I am between Jennifer Weiner's latest and one from Sophie Kinsella. This is the perfect read for a nice summer day with just the right balance of humor and tragedy. I am such a sucker for books that have a nice wrap up but leave a bit to the imagination and this one met all of my requirements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Goes the Bride.