B.C. Deeks's Reviews > Grave Secrets

Grave Secrets by Alice   James

bookshelves: mystery-paranormal, romance-urban-fantasy, series-to-try
Recommended for: fans of Stephanie Plum/Patricia Briggs

I requested Grave Secrets by Alice James from NetGalley, with no obligations, as an uncorrected Advanced Readers Copy (ARC) but even without the final polishing, there is no doubt this one is a gem. It’s been an exceptionally long time since I’ve had to stop reading to wipe the tears from my eyes because I was laughing so hard. That’s what happened before I was even a quarter of the way into the book. The protagonist, Lavington (Toni) Windsor, a real estate agent by day and necromancer by night, is delightful as the first-person narrator of this story, a twist on Stephanie Plum with Vampires and Zombies. With lines like, “What I lack in strategy, I make up for in overkill!” Toni barrels through a fast-paced adventure that is not without its share of blood and guts but is also full of warmth and friendship, romance, and great humor. The setting of rugged rural Britain, with cozy village life, is seamlessly woven into the plot and further reinforced by the British colloquialisms peppered throughout the dialogue.
GRAVE SECRETS is the first of a series and the author hints in the Acknowledgements that at least nine more are in the pipe. This debut is due out September 1, 2020 (US) and September 3 (UK) and I would suggest that anyone who enjoys Janet Evanovich and Patricia Brigg’s will love this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Secrets.

June 28, 2020 – Started Reading
June 29, 2020 – Shelved
June 29, 2020 – Shelved as: mystery-paranormal
June 29, 2020 – Shelved as: romance-urban-fantasy
June 29, 2020 – Shelved as: series-to-try
June 29, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Lynne (new)

Lynne I can't wait to read it! I know Alice James and if the book is half as witty and inventive as she it, it is a winner!

Lynne Heneson
Washington, DC

B.C. Deeks I think she's a real talent as an author - and I read a lot in this genre. I hope her Book 2 comes out VERY soon after the debut is released in September.